CVT trouble - back wheel locks up

Clutches, Chain & Belt Drives

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: CVT trouble - back wheel locks up

Post by coachgeo »

Peter the blacksmith wrote:Okay guys, ther neverending story goes on :wink: ... !
And how is the story these days?
Peter the blacksmith
Been here a while now..

Post by Peter the blacksmith »

Well, thanks for asking :-) The fuel pump stopped working, so I was unable to test the cvt by hoisting the rear end of the bike upp and see what happens when I turn the throttle off. A new pump costed about 200 €, so I thought I'd buy one next spring - can't ride here in mid-Sweden anyway, we have snow, the roads are icy and it is way below freezing point. But - lo and behold - earlier this week I found a small company that sold me a new fuel pump for only 50 € :-) (it is not that I am greedy, I just don't have much money to spend) Of course I ordered it, and yesterday I put it into place, but according to Murphy's Law I could not start the bike, since I emptied the tank some weeks ago and poured the diesel into my little tractor, that I use for clearing the snow :-)
So, some day next week I'll by diesel and test the new pump. But the test of the cvt must wait till spring, I don't want to do it inside (I have the bike in a friend's old stablehouse), since the exhaust gases are not very healthy... ;-)
I'll post a report in spring when I have tested the cvt ;-)
The early bird will get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
skoleskibe

Post by skoleskibe »

Hi Peter
Kim from Denmark here. (Friend of Allan Korup)
Ive heard about your troubles with the TC. It Seem to me that the chain wheel is placed on the wrong side of your (dont know What to Call it, the thing Holding the converter together) backplate. The sprocket should be on the right side of the backplate. Then the alignment of the primary and secondary will be just about correct. Have a look at the exploderede view drawings you can find at BMI Carts or other sellers.

Regards
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445033648.132410.jpg
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

I agree, the chain needs to be on the other side of the backplate. Thats what is causing all your problems.
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D
Peter the blacksmith
Been here a while now..

Post by Peter the blacksmith »

Thanks my friends, I'll check that !! :-)
The early bird will get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

UAofE wrote:I agree, the chain needs to be on the other side of the backplate. That's what is causing all your problems.
the first page of this thread several members makes the same assumption. It's a good set of post to review.

After reviewing them it seems to me; it will make no difference to move the sprocket outside the plate, except causing hell of a chain sprocket misalignment issues? The outer sheave of the Secondary Clutch's pulley on Comet's is the one that moves outward. The inboard sheave is fixed distance from backing plate. Thus installed as is appears to create no interference issues cause the amount of clearance does not change. Sure... yes on some models the inner sheave of the Secondary moves inboard thus the clearance "would" actually change in that case.. but not in this Comet model; the inner sheave is fixed and the outer moves outboard. See the videos on first page of this thread.

Unless of course his jack shaft is bent!!!! hmmm.. but that would affect him in other circumstances...

But what about FLEXING; on deceleration (engine braking) if the jack shaft actually flexes; changing the clearances, creating less clearance space resulting in secondary hitting chain thus resulting of locking up back wheel. hmm. If not the jack shaft flexing could the engine be moving twisting some in the frame or??? netting the same result. Or maybe the backing plate itself is flexing? Could.. the Crank be flexing? An era of those engines were known for weak cranks.

From his pics it does look like inner sheave of his secondary is scared up from the chain.
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

ANY misalignment of the CVT belt will cause severe performance issues.

An asymmetrical belt must have the flat surfaces exactly in line with each other.

The misalignment seen there will cause the belt to drag on the drive clutch and can even pull the belt down into the rivet area of the driven clutch.
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D