Small volume bio diesel

Usage, MPG, Pricing, Bio-Diesel, etc...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

mark_in_manchester
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Small volume bio diesel

Post by mark_in_manchester »

I thought I'd bump this thread and see if anyone is still using weird fuels! I just obtained 120l-ish of very mixed wvo - a lot of shitty emulsion in it, but there we go. At the moment I'm gravity filtering a gallon at a time using 3 socks, and then mixing 50/50 with pump diesel. I run 2 tanks, and get it hot on DERV before switching to the mix. This is in a Charade engine - Bosch VE clone pump (which will take it) and IDI setup. If anyone were to pop up and say 'here's how I deal with an emulsion, and here's how I run on even less bought fuel than you do' I'd be interested!

(I 'melted' / separated a load of emulsion on my wood-burner today for free, and then filtered it - it ran great through the filters, then cooled and partially turned into wax. Doh! :) ).
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Centrifuge filtration is the way to go for both WVO and WMO, but the centrifuges are expensive.

I've happily run oldsock filtered WMO in my MB 300D, mind you I'm just talking my own motoroil or places where I know the source from which is pretty much clean.

I once had 80% WMO 20% diesel in my fueltank and drove it 600km into Germany. Car liked it.

I have yet to run WVO as it's pretty much illegal in the NL. The engine wouldn't mind 100% tho, properly filtrated trough a centrifuge and <3 micron filter ofcourse.
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan
mark_in_manchester

Post by mark_in_manchester »

I've not heard of running waste motor oil. I could obtain quite a lot of that - and hydraulic oil, all sorts. You reckon filtered, it's worth trying with a pump diesel mix? I bet running it smells like the product of British Leyland - tired Austin Allegro time :-)
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Well yeah, but don't ever mix WVO and WMO. you will end up with a jellyfied mess. Like run 3 clean tanks of diesel trough your system before treeing.

Prepare for smoke though, lots of it.

ATF isn't motoroil.
Filter before use or you will regret it in the form of clogged/worn out pump and injectors.
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan