The Big Knock 2011

Talk about riding, events, meets, rally's, etc...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Sphere
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: The Big Knock 2011

Post by Sphere »

I don't have a FB account. I can see zarquon's set fine.
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
zarquon

Post by zarquon »

@Stu: You have to set the FB gallery free for all. Then there is a special link below the gallery viewable. This allows the gallery to be seen to everybody. Even without a FB account.

Hope this work out.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

I did set the gallery for everyone to see but didn't see this special link :!: :? Sometimes using the Ipad for this kind of this isn't easy 8) I will endeavour to sort it out but can't do it through work PC :!:

In the meantime, quite a few of the shots are on this youtube slideshow. Enjoy! 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALbb3Skl ... ata_player

Ok, I can now view the original link without being logged into FB. Anyone still having problems :?:
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Ok it's taken me a week and 4500 words later here it is 8)

http://www.dieselbike.net/BritishRally1 ... ally11.htm

Thanks to Chris for most of the shots.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Thanks, a really good read. I enjoyed the nice balance of techy stuff and the folks that were there.

One point of err, I only went as far as Slovenia not Serbia not that it really matters because what's another 200 miles on a 2500 mile trip 8)
Kubota Z482 which is plodding on with unnerving reliability. Three years so far.
1900 Diesel Bike being rebuilt with better clutch control.
lardy1
Been here a while now..

Post by lardy1 »

tiz on you tube as well :)
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Thanks guys 8) I have just noticed a typo (will instead of willing) and will correct laters along with the Serb slip :? :D
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Thanks a lot for that report. Shame to have missed it, but maybe next time :D
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
rednorfolk

Post by rednorfolk »

:lol: i had a good time :lol:
Royal Enfield 406cc diesel.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Did anyone find out who broke down about 2 miles from the bash.

I stopped and had a brief chat but the only thing I remember him saying was that he had planned on coming for a couple of years and lurked on the forum a bit. Which makes it a double shame he was so close but so far from turning up.

Big end or something just as serious was the problem, as I left a dedicated motorbike recovery van was arriving.....
Kubota Z482 which is plodding on with unnerving reliability. Three years so far.
1900 Diesel Bike being rebuilt with better clutch control.
Dan J

Post by Dan J »

I'm really pleased I made it down to see folks and bikes, even if only for one night. My good intentions of getting home late afternoon Saturday were thwarted by me chugging to a halt about 1/4 of a mile from Diesel Dave's house (just by the shop on the bend Dave...). Normally this would probably be one of the best places in the entire country for a diesel engined Enfield to give up however Essex's resident subject matter expert was, of course, sunning himself down in Billingshurst. It first appeared to be some kind of blockage - there was no fuel running through the system at all. I assumed I'd run out of fuel up to the "on" fuel tap position but nothing was forthcoming from reserve either. In desperation I bought 1 litre of cooking oil from the shop and shoved that in the tank but that didn't produce the goods either so I hads to admit defeat and did the last 15 miles on the recovery truck. The chap who picked me up took a whole load of photos of the bike as well as he'd never seen a diesel bike before - I pointed at the t-shirt and explained I'd just left 25 odd behind back in Sussex!

Having investigated further it transpires the fuel tap had a split in the extended "on" pipe. I hadn't filled the bike up for ages and presumed I'd be ok and could always resort to reserve when I got low. Problem was that fuel was being sucked right from the bottom of the tank so I effectively had no reserve. As the fuel ran out completely all the crap in the bottom of the tank was dumped in the tank/tap/fuel filters along the way clogging the whole system up. I'm therefore being forced to redo all the fuel filtering and piping as I've been saying I'll do to the bike for the last two years. I've cleaned the tank out as well as it was rather disturbing how much muck/silt came out of it.

Ah well, it's given me a small project to work on that isn't decorating related!

Hope to see most of you in Hamm in September though I will probably (for the sake of speed, comfort and luggage) come on the DL650 for that. Hey, if and when the engine breaks I'll get Heiko to put a three pot Lombardini in it :D
1990 Honda NTV600 Revere
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

Fuel filter, ah, thanks for reminding me, I thought there was something (else) I had to do to my bike. :lol:
It was good to see you again Dan, hope your getting enough sleep :) .

I'm sure an Enfield broke down just a few miles from the rally on Friday night, I slowed down to see if he was ok, the usual sign language yea ok so I went on to the rally. That reminded me to pack my tow rope, I always do with my Harley but just I haven't done it with my diesel, don't know why. Is towing a bike by a bike still legal in the UK? Humm, who cares, when is there ever a copper around when you need one. Yea, get out of the way coppers, we're wide eyed boys onboard the freedom bus (bikes) to oblivion , sorry bad Rick Mayall quotation :lol:

At the rally there were some very nice bikes to look at, but by the time I got back from the shops with batteries for my camera the orange triumph had gone! Oh no, I wanted to pick up some pointers for my next project, ho hum I'll have to snap it in Germany if it's there.

I started to feel a bit odd on Saturday, and Saturday night well odd, it couldn't be the beer, I usually drink way more than that to make me feel that strange. Sunday morning, I was on planet Z, yup that's what happens when I get a bug. I act like I have pmt, mood swings, happy one minute and deep depression the next then zombie in the morning. By the way I still have the same bug three weeks later, coughing up custard etc. I've been trying to share the bug with the local inhabitants down here but who would spot a zombie here, way too much camouflage.

Hopefully see ya all in Germany.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Get well soon Ian, them bugs are a bugger to get rid of sometimes :)
Your always welcome to travel with us to Hamm but we usually leave a few days early so dunno if you can get the time off? Actually, there was talk of going even earlier because we could only fit a weeks touring back after Hamm.

Must start a thread on Hamm 2011 8)
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

Thanks, I actually got into the garage today and put my new battery on charge. I took a gander for the spare special nut that fell off the gear change, and I can't find it anywhere.
I thought a replacement would be 30 odd quid being Harley, but I have found out it is only available with a £300 forward foot control kit, more metal work to do then.

Unfortunately the Seat Slayer can only get a few days off. So I'll up gear the bike again and Wednesday make a dash up the m5, m4, m25, m20 to Dover - Dunquerque and stay the night in the Biker loft hotel in Ostend http://www.grd.be/bikersloft/ and hopefully catch a band in the evening etc. I'll take a more leisurely ride to Hamm in the morning.
Sunday I'll take a bimble over to Bastone, I've been past it a few times but never seen it, then bum around a bit and back to the Biker loft.
Monday take the country route from Dover, I guess there has to be one, it'll be fun finding out. :D