Hamm 2010 - 10th anniversary rally

Talk about riding, events, meets, rally's, etc...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

ArnoDeuker
Been here a while now..
Location: Germany Hessen near Giessen (60 km north od Frankfurt Main)

Re: Hamm 2010 - 10th anniversary rally

Post by ArnoDeuker »

presentation at the 10th international Diesel Ralley

Project
with a salad oil driven sidecar from Germany to Morocco

when: Sa 11. September ca 15:00 Uhr
were: Brauhof Wilshaus,
Baumstr. 46,
59071 Hamm / Germany
51°40'11''N 7°54'10'' O
Anorak_ian
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by Anorak_ian »

I got up this morning to the smell of gearbox oil, the whole house stinks of it as for the last tree days I have done nothing else but rip apart all four of my Enfield boxes. The kitchen is a bomb site, and grease and oil everywhere.

The problem with the box was the ident was dead and it pushed its way out of the case taking the threads with it.
The British parts are different to the Indian parts, and the Indian parts keep changing in design or size.
Even the replacement parts from Hitchcock’s do not fit all of my boxes, and new parts are the same size as worn out parts, so much for quality control.

Three damn days work. I hate Enfield, really hate it.
Half a bottle of bourbon and half a bottle of wine didn't make me feel any better.
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Wonder how much chocolate cake that cost you Ian :P The rally is no longer on Willy's calendar btw. Will he be stocking enough pork chops?
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

chocolate cake? pork chops? You've totally lost me there.

The multiple gearbox problems continue, now it's just fourth gear playing up. Out of all the boxes I have rebuilt I have never known one with so many problems. I just hope I can get it back in the bike in time.
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

https://www.dieselbikeforum.com/view ... 9430#p9430

First you have to bribe her for permission to go then you desecrate the kitchen, must cost you dearly. :mrgreen:

Pork chops is just me remembering DieselDave's account of breakfast lunch and dinner.
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

Lol :lol:
Dan J

Post by Dan J »

Ian - stop dicking about online and get it sorted out! :mrgreen:
1990 Honda NTV600 Revere
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

I too have pulled my bike apart before the off. Regreased the clutch bearing with the hi temp grease. Also greased the gear change nipple. Changing was becoming a bit hard. Belt was in good order I'm pleased to say.
Got an MOT this morning too :D
Hopefully a run tomorrow to test things will go ok. Then it's Hamm Wednesday morning. Any probs and I'll have to tear up the Autobahns on the Triumph Street Triple R (and pay the costs as regards fuel :( )
Attachments
Ruggerfield Primary
Ruggerfield Primary
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Ian - if you really want to go and are stuck for a bike then I'll offer Sluggy as a viable option.

Even if you have to use a car or petrol bike to get to my place then Sluggy will be placed at your disposal for the trip.

Not the best dieselbike in the world but my favorite and I don't offer this lightly.

DD
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

Dave that's an incredibly generous offer and I thank you for it.

However, I've been working my ass off and the box is back in the bike, and it should be back on the road soon.

Cheers
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Ok, all packed and ready to go in the morning about 7.20. We'll camp Wednesday night in Peronne I think. Should get to Hamm Thursday.
See you there 8)
Zem

Post by Zem »

I need to do the electric stuff on my bike.
I plan to leave Vienna on thursday.
If everything went fine I will arrive on friday morning.
--
May the Source be with you!
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Believe it or not, Saturday forecast is much better than Thu Fri Sun.

source: http://webcam.wa-online.de/webcam/ -- I couldn't find a webcam on the Brauhof site.

Zem

Post by Zem »

Hi there,

I have driven 40 km on the Autobahn. The only thing happened was an opened headset, if you mount your headset, make sure that the securing metal is bended over the screw... :roll:

I will now put my stuff together and leave in the next two hours!

cu @Hamm

Hans
--
May the Source be with you!
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Finally got here after a hard days ride. 10 hrs in the saddle. Bad diversions between Mons & Charleroi (wrong).
In the bar now. Larry just told me about the rats in the barn. I'll be sleeping with them later. No wonder Larry put his tent up IN the barn.
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

Well I'm glad you made it safe and sound, have a beer for me.

I left home at 7pm for the hotel at Bilingshurst, eventually got there at 2.30.
Friday morning started badly as the woman in the little chef kept me waiting for my full English, and when I got it the eggs were rubber. Not a good start to the day.
My gearbox became incontinent leaving a puddle on the little chef car park (serves them right). So I headed off to Horsham Tesco's for some cheap oil, got it, then headed back in for a funnel, got it, then ran back in as my breakfast was about to escape. After gassing the place out, I gassed up ready for the journey to Dover, and let’s get some air in that back tyre. The air machine eat my inner tube valve, took a damn big bite as it was now in two halves. Flat back tyre, flatter than a witch's tit.
I can not fault the Tescos staff who were wonderful in trying to help me. As it happens every one that I spoke too was very sympathetic and tried to help.
Anyhow, my insurance company took an hour phoning around every bike and tyre shop around Horsham asking if they would help, i.e.; come to Tesco's and repair, or take the bike away and repair.
No, not one wanted to know!
Scuppered for the want of an inner tube. It took four hours for a recovery.

At least it didn't rain.

The guys that recovered the bike (three breakdown vehicles in relay) were totally blown away by the diesel, and was a talking point all the way back home.

Next year.
Dan J

Post by Dan J »

Ian-gutted for you, a real shame. I'll pass on the message as we were all starting to worry when you didn't show yesterday. Hope you get it all sorted soon... Dan
1990 Honda NTV600 Revere
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Stuart wrote:Few pics at http://www.Twitter.com/Torquepen

Finally got here after a hard days ride. 10 hrs in the saddle. ... Larry just told mr about the rats in the barn. I'll be sleeping with them later. No wonder Larry put his tent up IN the barn.
Watch out for the horny lady rats... they're the worst. :lol: Guys that smell like salid oil attract them.

Thanks for the Blog. Will keep reading thru out the weekend to stay atop the news.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Anorak_ian wrote:[img] Fat Flat Tire [img off]
WELLL.... !@#$% . that had ta SUCK. Break downs are one thing..
STUPID ones bring a whole different meaning to !@#$%^.

Once you've arrived home defeated; Murphys law says the first place you call to get a tube will have ton's of them in stock compared to the previous days defeat handed you by none being in stock anywhere. Gotta love Murphy :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Rolled off to Hamm at 0800 and arrived at 1100. Very nice weather indeed and a big turnout. Had some weak beer and some schnitzels, ogled all the bikes. It was nice meeting Stu Dan Teun Hans and some Swede with pussy whiskey which apparently decked a guy called Sonke who got up at oh 1430 or so 8)

I took a photograph of a pig hiding from Dave too :mrgreen: Next year I'll come early, should be well worth it.
Attachments
IMAG0087-1.jpg
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

Pics look great, shame I never made it this year. Look forward to a couple more pics when you guys get back. Hope you had a good one.

Neil
Smart engined 800cc turbo diesel triumph tiger. 100mpg (imp)
Belfast to Kathmandu overland, 2010/2011 - http://www.suckindiesel.com
Bangkok to Sydney ???
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

Question for Ian, why did you have a tube in as it looks tubeless?
Sam
Dan J

Post by Dan J »

Great food, drink, bikes and most of all company - old and new. Could only have been improved by having those who intended to come but didn't or couldn't make it there as well. Here's to next year...
1990 Honda NTV600 Revere
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

sbrumby wrote:Question for Ian, why did you have a tube in as it looks tubeless?
I'm just guessing it has an inner tube; I haven’t had it apart yet as my hands have swollen. It seems I over did it fixing the bike up and then riding her, ho hum.

I know what you’re thinking, if it's a tubeless valve then I could have got some tyre leavers broke the bead on the tyre and fitted the new valve without even taking the wheel off the bike (well maybe). To be honest I didn't think of that at the time and after waiting for my insurance company to phone around bike shops etc I had run out of time.

Next year I'll give myself a lot more travelling time.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Had a relaxing day in Mons. Should make ferry tomorrow. Front brake light switch packed up. Fitted my new kick-start and nearly broke leg trying to use it. Emergencies only I think :D
Jotting a few notes about the rally down now and will try and post report asap.
oldbmw

Post by oldbmw »

I did sort of make it..

My big end started to rattle and knock a bit on Poland ( maybe checkoslovakia) on the way in and I had to nurse back to Germany. I am home now, but the bike had to be abandoned in Antwerp :(

Will collect it with a trailer in a couple of weeks time.

My route was like this, left home early tuesday morning and pitched tent near Macon France. next day headed for Pussy and had to replace rear tube on the way. camped at Amie. East france. Next day across the alps in Italy to Milan where I inadvertently forgot to pay the toll as the bike leapt away from the booth close to a car. Then north to Aprica where I stooped for the night, The nice man there managed to drop my camera, it still works but rattles ( bit like the bike) But I now scared to start the bike. From Aprica north through Austria into south Germany to Garmish. stopped there the night near to an English pub run by an Irishman :) Was a little forgetful when i left it. Pissed down all Saturday as i wound my way to Frejung near the czeck border. Sunday wended my way to Kutna Hora to see the church of bones. Next day into Poland ( Nowa Ruda) and Jugow to see the Flytrap at N50.62882 E16.49430 put that in google maps. which aroused my curiosity some while back. Returned to Gorlitz in Germany and next day to Colditz. Then to Hamm and Antwerp which is where my bike journey ended.about 2300 miles run.
Larry
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Sorry to hear about your troubles Larry, I'll refrain from saying anything about petrol engines...

Impressive run though with some good sights along the way, hope you enjoyed yourself.

So sad I missed this years event but I'm on the mend and should be fighting fit in about a week or so.

All the best
Dave
zarquon

Post by zarquon »

Here is my little gallery from Hamm 2010:

http://picasaweb.google.de/ruhrstadt/Di ... directlink

And some more from Arno:

http://www.leticia-benitez.de/Hamm2010/Index.html

It was a great weekend. Thanks for everybody joining the rally!

Rafael
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Thanks for the photos. Doesn't make up for not attending but helps :cry:
I'll be attempting to get to the next diesely rally with my oily failmonster
Kubota Z482 which is plodding on with unnerving reliability. Three years so far.
1900 Diesel Bike being rebuilt with better clutch control.