Build Thread US Diesel Tiger

On-going, finished, abandoned builds & questions galore..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

pietenpol2002
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Build Thread US Diesel Tiger

Post by pietenpol2002 »

Coach, you're very fortunate to have Curtiss' skill and resourcesj being brought to bear on your bike. What a gift. I too faced that challenge of the filter placement. The 90 degree mount tucks it nicely under the inject pump and out of the way. But makes accessing it a bit of work. You do what you have to do. I'm struck with the challenge of fitting eveythings nicely into the very limited space. But a pivoting and adjustable driven pulley/shaft is the berries. Thanks for keeping us posted.
Ron
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

pietenpol2002 wrote:Coach, you're very fortunate to have Curtiss' skill and resourcesj being brought to bear on your bike. What a gift. I too faced that challenge of the filter placement. The 90 degree mount tucks it nicely under the inject pump and out of the way. But makes accessing it a bit of work. You do what you have to do. I'm struck with the challenge of fitting eveythings nicely into the very limited space. But a pivoting and adjustable driven pulley/shaft is the berries. Thanks for keeping us posted.
Yeah cant disagree with you on how fortunate I am. Im not sure I got the details right but from my phone conversation with Curtis the plan is

. 1" axle shaft has been milled down to fit into the center hole in the flywheel giving a true center. Primary clutch of CVT will go on this shaft.
. A large sprocket (with collar for 1" shaft and key?) has been purchased
. Using some machinest/fabricator trick with a string? around the bolts used to mount a clutch or OEM Stub shaft to the flywheel, Curtis is measuring these bolts exact locations based on the flywheels true center.
. holes will be drilled into the sprocket based on above.
. Sprocket will be bolted to flywheel over the axle shaft via the holes drilled above.
. Shaft will be welded to sprocket
. Once welded all will be balanced in his mill.
. removing some from flywheels back side for clearancing? for a reason that didnt stick into my head in our phone conversation?
. TADAaaa. well balanced and trued Stub Shaft is created. Should remove chance of wobbles from untrue shaft etc.

. Shaft's length will be long enough to go thru CVT primary AND a pillow bearing.
. This bearing is to go on an engine cover that will bolt to the engine where the bell housing would be bolted. Purpose to eliminate side loads and tidy up the whole thing to look factory-ish
. End of shaft will be drilled and tapped to take a bolt. This is how this particulary Primary clutch is normally mounted to the shaft. Course this set up shaft will go "clutch, bearing, and thennn bolt"
. plan is to have engine cover tight enough to end of shaft to not need a spacer between clutch end and bearing. To prevent primary clutch from walking outward if any space existed there.
. The Primary clutch we have was OEM for a particular UTV. Clutch has a built in collar to provide correct spacing for that particular UTV. Curtis will machine off this collar.

. On side of block facing rear wheel will be bolted a framework of Curtis's design that holds the jackshaft with secondary Clutch and chain sprocket. It's design will leave ability to move jackshaft for tension adjustment and for easy removal/replace of CVT belt.
. moving the rear wheel most forward to slaken chain will also have to be done for R/R of belt since chain sprocket is also on the Jack shaft.

. So far it appears OEM radiator will attach OEM style. Present assumption is it will suffice for cooling.
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

All makes sense Coach. Sounds like Curtis has it nailed. It would be nice if you could pick up one of the aluminum hydraulic pump adapters to serve as your "shield".
You could then simply plate across the opening and mount a flanges bearing in lieu of the pillow block. Below is an example, but driving a pump. And even though on a 482, it's the same bell housing pattern/size. You'd have to notch the side for the belt, but would save weight and look tidy. Do you suppose the drive unit would fit in that cavity?

http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/top ... 482/page-2 (best pics start on page 2)

Here's one currently listed. But, I don't believe the 905 bolt pattern is the same.

http://tinyurl.com/kfep2vv
Ron
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

pietenpol2002 wrote:... plate across the opening and mount a flanges bearing in lieu of the pillow block. ...
My bad I misspoke. He did say he will be using a flange bearing
Byrdman

Post by Byrdman »

Any new pics Coach?
Fat guy on a little bike.............
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Unfortunately Curtis has become ill. He's not been in the shop since not long after my last report.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Well Curtis is doing much better and feeling motivated. Getting some work done.

Below pics are of:

. First two pictures are of items Curtis made up to make sure it's all true. One of these is shaft to be used in final complete stub shaft, still in the works.
..... End of stub shaft will be threaded for bolt. This is OEM set up. Plan is for bolt to go into a plug that will sit inside of pillow block attached to a set of bars that act/look like engine/CVT protection bars. These bars will surround the whole thing like basket or say a bell housing over a clutch or torque converter. This pillow block is to discount any side loads the pulley could put on the crank. Curtis figured best to do this since motorcycle engines all have there end bearings designed to keep side loads of their crank.

. Also Primary Pulley mocked up on engine. Over all Curtis hopes to get it about 3/8ths of an inch from Flywheel.

. Another pic is Primary Pulley trimming of fins to again move it closest to engine as possible.

. Last pic is of milled end of Primary Pulley. It originally had a big hawnking extension to create correct spacing for its OEM set up on a 6 wheeler. This chunk stuck out as much as the shaft thru the pulley in the pic. Pulley end will be further milled into a taper to allow for:
... better/closer fitting to base of stub shaft that will have a built up surface for strength where it attaches to the plate.
... provide a centring surface that keeps the pulley centred on the shaft along with Key.
here is link to another pic where this Hawnking extension is still on back of Primary Pulley. it's black metal at backside of pulley in the pic.
download/file.php?id=2142&t=1
Attachments
All the centering/alignment tool Curtis made up
All the centering/alignment tool Curtis made up
Centering Hub
Centering Hub
Pre fit stub shaft post test
Pre fit stub shaft post test
Mock fitment
Mock fitment
clearanced back side of Primary Pulley
clearanced back side of Primary Pulley
stbolster
I don't post much...

Post by stbolster »

Hey brotha I'm in California trying to do one of these builds myself I have a 96 tiger and a LDW1003 maybe we can connect and get this project moving... I'm willing to invest time and money hit me up
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

stbolster wrote:Hey brotha I'm in California trying to do one of these builds myself I have a 96 tiger and a LDW1003 maybe we can connect and get this project moving... I'm willing to invest time and money hit me up
Sent a PM
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Curtis's lathe got zapped by lightening and things ground to a halt. FORTUNATELY the stub shaft project was able to be moved to a machinist on opposite side of country from Curtis in TX to Yooper in WI. I've been helping out with moderating a Kubota tractor website had bumped into while searching about Kubota engines for this project. Later needed a tractor to plow snow etc.... and one thing lead to another and I was a Mod at Orangetractortalks and making new friends.

You can follow the stub shaft work at
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forum ... 901&page=4 Start at post 35. Think the images are viewable by non members. Let me know if that is not the case.
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

Wow! That is some beautiful work. You are a very blessed man Coach.
Ron
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Stub shaft finished and on it's way back to Curtis in TX from Yooper in WI.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Fly out next Monday to TX. Will spend few days working on bike with Curtis. Then stick it and the spare Tiger in a Uhaul and head North for two days back home where I can work toward finishing the project. Spare Tiger was going to be Curtis's bike but reality is that is not going to happen so he offered it back to me. Will return with a complete running bike...... but not one of the tigers sadly. I bought his KLR diesel (Sparky's Original KLR sold to TXRanger's, Then Curtis). I'll try to find the thread in here on it and bring it to the top. More on the KLR plans when I find the thread in here.
Last edited by coachgeo on Wed May 24, 2017 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

Congrats on the acquisitions Coach. And then do give us updates on both the KLR and the Tigers. Can't wait to see your progress on all 3. Was the KLR ever converted to an Enfield box as Curtis was planning? Or, is it yet the CVT? I wish you well.
Ron
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

pietenpol2002 wrote:Congrats on the acquisitions Coach. And then do give us updates on both the KLR and the Tigers. Can't wait to see your progress on all 3. Was the KLR ever converted to an Enfield box as Curtis was planning? Or, is it yet the CVT? I wish you well.
Still CVT
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

One of Curtis's concerns was with the big hawking CVT it was going to stick way out. Well judging by the pic of my Undressed Tiger it looks that way....
20170531_192535_resized.jpg
but when you account for all the parts not installed (tank, side panels etc.) it actually only sticks out about 5-6". Dressed Tiger width at wide point of Tank is approx. 21". (pic below of spare Dressed Tiger). Looking closer it looks like I'm basically swapping wide sides. In the normal configuration, left leg side of the bike is the thinner side while the other side is wider cause it is flywheel/Tranny side. Kubota setup is opposite.
20170531_192351_resized.jpg
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

here is unloading the spare bike with my Tractor and help of friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OOYyUxCS7k