Diesel treatments? & spotting 'bad diesel'

Getting the pumbing right for your Diesel fuel feed..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

mhsilverw
Been here a while now..

Diesel treatments? & spotting 'bad diesel'

Post by mhsilverw »

Hi,

Is there any views on using 'diesel treatments'?

After chatting with diesel dave (great chap and very inspirational :mrgreen: ) of sluggy-fame I have become semi-educated on diesel fuel and the effects of standing (condensation?) and maybe bugs/algae build up....which may occur. :shock:

I have often seen treatments advertised and in the forecourt - Redex, Millers, X1R Diesel treatment ("Suitable for ALL Diesel Engines Proven to Combat Algae Growth"), STP etc etc. Is there any experience in using such treatments or should they be avoided. :?:

As a diesel novice (on the bike) what should I look out for regarding fuel and filters etc?

Oh, I have found the fuel-return line on the bike ends up in a catch-bottle in one of the 'tool boxes' on the enfield.....Sluggy seems to have his return lined plumbed back into the tank..very neat and someone more skilled with welding and engineering than I. :oops:

Is there any alternative (improved?) fuel return or even 'Combined fuel feed/return' that won't result in issues....maybe 'retail' like in view of my (lack of) engineering-skills :?:

Kind Regards

Mark
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Re: Diesel treatments? & spotting 'bad diesel'

Post by Crazymanneil »

As far as filtration goes I am planning to carry one of these with me on our trip this year -

http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Home.html

This is of course in addition to normal diesel filter. In fact I may replace the normal diesel filter with something else too before we go.

N
Smart engined 800cc turbo diesel triumph tiger. 100mpg (imp)
Belfast to Kathmandu overland, 2010/2011 - http://www.suckindiesel.com
Bangkok to Sydney ???
IgorVigor
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Diesel treatments? & spotting 'bad diesel'

Post by IgorVigor »

and carry a couple of spare diesel filters....

personally, I always use a small funnel with a very fine gauze in the bottom when I use a jerry can or other fuel container...

never had a problem in all the years of playing with engines...