Front vs. Rear Tires???

Topics concerning those circular things and how to stop them..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

smokyjoe
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Front vs. Rear Tires???

Post by smokyjoe »

I am thinking of using the IRC Wild Flare in 120/90-17 on the back of my Hatzuki (1980 Suzuki GS550 chassis) and the 3.00/100H-19 on the front. The 120/90-17 is listed as a front tire, will this really make a difference on a 55MPH Diesel? Mostly I'll be driving on roads where the max speed is 30-35 MPH, but with lots of curves but I am not one to go blowing through the corners like the crotchrocketeers.

There is a limited number of 17" tires listed for rear service here in the US in a narrow width as I guess it isn't all that popular of a size. A 120 is the widest that will fit the frame and wheel (2.75" rim), but I would like a narrower tire for lower rolling resistance. Too much of a pain to change wheel, brake caliper, disc, sprocket, etc. for an 18" where I'd have plenty of choices. Most of the 17" tires I've seen are wide enough to put on a mud-bogger truck!

Thanks
sbrumby

Re: Front vs. Rear Tires???

Post by sbrumby »

I suggest you read the post 2 down from yours " Daryl on tyre treads" it will explain.
Sam
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

sbrumby wrote:I suggest you read the post 2 down from yours " Daryl on tyre treads" it will explain.
For the archives.... threads might get moved out of order as they are now so here is a link to the thread mentioned by sbrumby.

https://www.dieselbikeforum.com/view ... =42&t=1168
oldbmw

Post by oldbmw »

Avon sm rear tyres can be had in 17" diametre.
Larry
smokyjoe

Post by smokyjoe »

I couldn't find the Avon SM in the US in 17 inch, but that gave me incentive to look at some dealers that I hadn't considered before and did find a Shinko SR716 in 100/90-17 that will give me a narrower tire for less rolling resistance (Hopefully!) at http://www.motorcyclemaniacstore.com I've never bought from them before, but at $54 USD it is worth a try.

Thanks
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Shinko seems to be building a good rep over at advriders forum

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... ght=Shinko
TedV

Post by TedV »

I think Avon AM26 Roadrider is available in that size. I put the universal AM26 on both front and rear of my CB250, grip is much better in dry and wet compared to the Chen tires that were on it when I purchased the bike. They even felt fine and inspired confidence in the turns last saturday when I went for a ride with flurries falling and 23 degree F temp. Both front and rear were in the $70-$80 each range.

Since the tire is the only thing touching the ground, allowing you to stay in control and possibly alive, why would you want to do anything questionable? Skip going out to dinner a night or 2 and purchase known good tires with proper application. :wink:

::edit:: I shouldn't have looked too much thru the advrider link. clicked on smilin jacks links and his dual sport CB250 is awesome. I do admit the AM26 are a lil squirrely in deep gravel, and the rear will walk sideways in not even damp grass. It's fun tho. :lol:
oldbmw

Post by oldbmw »

TedV wrote:
::edit:: I shouldn't have looked too much thru the advrider link. clicked on smilin jacks links and his dual sport CB250 is awesome. I do admit the AM26 are a lil squirrely in deep gravel, and the rear will walk sideways in not even damp grass. It's fun tho. :lol:
I have found many modern tyres to be over optimised for a particular function. The old fashioned 'general purpose' tyre would go anywhere reasonably well. I admit on good tarmac avon Venoms and AM26's are better handling, but I have to ride 200 metres on mud/wet grass to get to the road and these tyres really dislike that. I am currently running sm tyres after am26's on my Enfield, which are fine but think next time I will try tt100's.
Larry
cumorglas

Post by cumorglas »

TedV wrote:
i had been looking at that thread for some time. the knobbies that came on my cheap chinese dual sport don't really like pavement. and since it spends 80 percent of its time on pavement, i need something that likes it better. come spring i think a set of these might go on that and i'll stud the knobbies for next winter.

edit.

i also love the chainsaw scabbard.
smokyjoe

Post by smokyjoe »

I see the AM26 is available in 120/90-17, that is the size on the bike now although I'd like 100s to give less rolling resistance. I won't be burning up the tarmac with the Hatzuki. Since I am used to Speedmasters and the old "universal" tread tires, probably these new tread designs may be an improvement on paved/wet roads for me. I'm not a winter rider, yea I'm a woos when it comes to cold weather, the old arthritis gets the best of me when the temp drops below 40 deg. F. I figure that's the time to fire up the stove and work on the bikes and dream of spring. Drove the Honda scoot 2 November's ago, damn near killed me and it was a very unusually "warm" November. As soon as I saw a suitable beater cage with a good heater sitting on the side of the road I bought it and put the bike in the garage.

I guess I've got at least 4 months ahead to make up my mind on tires.
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

NOFI, but aren't you exagerating the rolling resistance component here? Just make sure you keep the pressure in the tyre up there and I'm guessing that the rolling resistance between 100 and 120 will negligable. You make it sound like you're losing out on several hp.
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
smokyjoe

Post by smokyjoe »

You're right, I shouldn't worry about such a trivial difference. If I really wanted to "split hairs" about rolling resistance I'd leave the rock-hard 30 year old tires on the bike! (I'll probably have to cut them off) Right now they have no air pressure and you'd never be able to tell.

I guess the modern tires roll on a small part of the center due to the "round" profile, unlike the old "flat" profile tires.
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

My Enfield was a royal pain in the you-know-what to move around, because one tyre was flat and the other half-empty. Now that it has a decent set of wheels again manoeuvring it was a piece of cake, even in the snow. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
dieselbikin

Post by dieselbikin »

Just remember that rolling resistance = traction for emergency maneuvers and braking. You'll save enough on medical bills and crash repairs to offset a little fuel. :wink:

I'm on my second set of Shinko 700 Dual Sport tires and I love them. I have two friends whom are also happy with their various Shinko tires.
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet