•OEM fuel gauge

1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet
smokyjoe
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Gauge Cluster

Post by smokyjoe »

Again, nice bike! (I've the same GS550 but mine is chopper-fied). I like your gauge lineup, is the bike computer able to be set up for different tire sizes, etc? What speed will it register to? I am thinking of gutting the top (LED) part of my original cluster and installing everything right in the case. I would like to find a pyrometer like yours, I have the sender (think they all use the same thermocouple) but no meter. Yours fits the case so nice it looks like factory.
cumorglas

Post by cumorglas »

i bought five 99 cent bike computers on ebay. the max speed they would register was 99 miles per hour.
i put one of a friends' slightly wrecked ninja. and honestly if he's gonna keep smacking into things keeping it under a hundred is a good idea.
i used one as a tach on my little brother perkins diesel genset. that's only 1800 rpm though. i cant remember the wheel diameter i told it but the math is not that hard. pi is an established technology. it reads 18 in numbers we can read from inside the machine shed.
i put one on my actual bicycle. it's nice having the tempo arrows.

i had planned on using the last two as tach and speedo on this bike. im gonna have to make sure it'll read to 36 now.
smokyjoe

Post by smokyjoe »

Thanks for the info, I'll have to look for these. That's a good idea using the bike speedo as a tach, I would even like to put one on my lathe!
dieselbikin

Post by dieselbikin »

Thanks. :D
I mostly use my computer for testing purposes. It keeps track of top speed and average speed among other things. I have another one on my Suzuki DR650 and it starts giving squirly readings above 75 MPH. I also tried to use one as a tachometer so that I could keep track of max RPM and average RPM, but the screen would go blank at around 1900 RPM. Obviously not enough resolution to handle anymore inputs per minute. I bought it at Walmart for $10 and you can program it for any tire size.

I don't have the thermocouple for the gauge yet.
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet