Romoving the cooling shrowd and no fan cooling?

Doing stuff with air...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

chevy43
Been here a while now..

Romoving the cooling shrowd and no fan cooling?

Post by chevy43 »

I was looking at my Hatz 2cyl and noticed that if I run it cross ways the cooling air out of the engine will be facing forward! That's no good!

What if I let it cool like any other motorcycle with by removing all the shrowds??? Would it cool well enough? My guess is yes but has anyone else done that?
sbrumby
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by sbrumby »

My ruggerini 950 twin blows the wrong way & never gets too hot, even at 70mph towing a trailer for hours on end doesnt bother it.
Sam
chevy43
Been here a while now..

Post by chevy43 »

sbrumy, do you have a picture of your bike you could post or send? Did you use any kind of wind block in front of the cylinders?

I have noticed that some of these engines, like the Lombardini and the Acme Motori, are almost identical to the HATZ. I wonder if your Rugerini is similar too....
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

Image No special plate, did think about about it in the build, but its not necesary. If you think about the engine in a stationary situation it works at full power with no cooling air apart from what the fan can suck. So in a bike traveling at 70mph its getting plenty.
Sam
Dan J

Post by Dan J »

That's a great looking bike Sam
1990 Honda NTV600 Revere
tappy

Re: Romoving the cooling shrowd and no fan cooling?

Post by tappy »

The ruggerini & hatz engines gives specs for the volume of air required for combustion, and for cooling.
A few calculations suggested that at 60mph, you only need an area of about 8" by 3" to provide the cooling airflow, so I figure that the engine will run fine without fan or shrouds in a british climate, given that the mean power output will rise with road speed, and the heat loss needed will follow power output roughly.
It's what I'm planning on anyway, so if it all goes Pete Tong I'll let ya know.