EXTracktion progress

For all topics relating to Diesel motorcycles.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

BertTrack
I luv the smell of Diesel...

EXTracktion progress

Post by BertTrack »

Well with the wider belt and the 3.2 ratio the Track is riding much better now.

Things to confirm: Tank is no longer leaking.

I've reverted back to the gasket on top with silicone sealant. We'll see what it does.

Things to mod: Move back to generator on the crankshaft, Revert to electric water pump using the Davies Craig pack.

I did some tests and turns out the generator coils are good. I expected them to have a short but it turned out the old rectifier regulator was broken.
I got a replacement for that and it's work a try i think. Anything is better than the original mercedes dynamo on the side. As long as it makes amps that is.

And with that it's possible to revert back to the electric waterpump. Now the original EWP80 that was on it is a little on the big side for an 800cc bike. Especially when it's directly driven by the 12v without controller the power used is quite a lot. 97.5 watt if it can pump flat out. This was originally the case.
In my current setup i changed this to have a more restricted coolant flow (except when the thermostat opens)

So what i'll be going for is implementing the full Davies Craig system and drop down one pump size to EBP40. It delivers less than half of what the original one does, draws 65 watts aprox, has a magnetic drive so no leaking axles.
image002.jpg
BertTrack

Re: EXTracktion progress

Post by BertTrack »

BertTrack wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:21 am Well with the wider belt and the 3.2 ratio the Track is riding much better now.

Things to confirm: Tank is no longer leaking.

I've reverted back to the gasket on top with silicone sealant. We'll see what it does.

Things to mod: Move back to generator on the crankshaft, Revert to electric water pump using the Davies Craig pack.

I did some tests and turns out the generator coils are good. I expected them to have a short but it turned out the old rectifier regulator was broken.
I got a replacement for that and it's work a try i think. Anything is better than the original mercedes dynamo on the side. As long as it makes amps that is.

And with that it's possible to revert back to the electric waterpump. Now the original EWP80 that was on it is a little on the big side for an 800cc bike. Especially when it's directly driven by the 12v without controller the power used is quite a lot. 97.5 watt if it can pump flat out. This was originally the case.
In my current setup i changed this to have a more restricted coolant flow (except when the thermostat opens)

So what i'll be going for is implementing the full Davies Craig system and drop down one pump size to EBP40. It delivers less than half of what the original one does, draws 65 watts aprox, has a magnetic drive so no leaking axles.
Tank is no longer leaking. All is looking well there.

Generator is back to the original. And with a new R/R it's getting a good voltage in general.

I am running the EBP40 pump and this uses less amps. Also i have not been able to get that control system to work on the Track. Because even with 10second run time and 30 second nothing the pump was pushing too much liquid through. I had to revert to the restrictions i had in place before.

I am not running a different rear wheel as the original was egg shape and not straight. After loosening all the spokes on that one the rim was round and straight. So i'll be trying to get that back well on the hub.
BertTrack

Re: EXTracktion progress

Post by BertTrack »

It's been a while.

We found @ the Big Knock that the glow plug relay is causing havoc on the throttle circuit. Leaving it out solves the problems for now.

I'm converting the glow plug circuit to work with a push button without start button connection. In analysing the old glow plug relais i discovered that the start button will stop the glow plugs only when the start button is released. And it will activate the glowplugs when pushed.

This explains the hard to start Track in so many situations.

The L connector of the glowplug relay is connected to something. But it should be the light indicating it's glowing. I never saw any light activating because of it though.

I only have 2/5th of the radiator left and have gotten an intercooler on the other side.

My belt experiments didn't take in account the belt angle. Now i have. Current belt is working equal or better than any other belt in the past.

I feel it gripping when it does at any speed. And really puts down the torque.

The rectifier/regulator is now under the nose. Keeping it cool and working. I modified some electric cabling to make use of the new connection from the nose to the start wire (constant +).

Got a first replacement of the rubber between the cvt and the rear arm.

33k kilometers now. Fuel efficiency is up to aprox 1 liter per 28 km.

Now i'm in the progress of putting the intercooler and coolant fan relay's in a better position. And ofcourse the glowplug stuff.