Bits falling off

For all topics relating to Diesel motorcycles.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

mark_in_manchester
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Bits falling off

Post by mark_in_manchester »

I read Diesel Dave's latest problem with bits falling off, somewhere on here today. I was hoping to go on an epic (for me) trip to Scotland later this month, but yesterday on a trial run to Blackburn, it boiled up and covered my left leg in rusty water. When I stopped fretting and started thinking, I saw the fan belt was no longer there - so the trip to Blackburn turned into a tour around car spares shops. On the way home, the temp seemed stable, so thinking (with some surprise) that I might have got away with it I went to give it some stick...and the steel ring around the rubber drive donut blew up and tried to take my right foot off. Ho hum. I start looking at ads for 20 yr old Hondas when I get a run of luck like this.
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Re: Bits falling off

Post by Diesel Dave »

Ah ha, see it’s never the building time, it’s the proving miles that chew through the hours/days/weeks... :D
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

You have to trust that evenntually things will stop falling off (and they will). I went through the same thing,
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

I beg to differ...Sluggy the first has 201,000 miles under his belt and things are still disappearing down the road.
mark_in_manchester

I haven't covered that many miles, but I am 10 years in with this. Oh well...

(Anyone know how to break Loctite 243? I have some M8 fine bolts set in with it, with countersunk slot heads. The impact driver is not moving them, just making a mess. Lots of heat?)
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Heat sounds good yes. I doubt freezer spray on the screw to shrink it would work. Perhaps try those reverse cutting tools that dig into the metal of old fixing heads?
mark_in_manchester

Well, In the summer I did make it to Durness and back, much to my surprise. But the other day I stopped it with too much chip-oil mix in the pump, and would it re-start? It would not. That will teach me not to switch back to DERV a couple of miles from home.

So a hint from a veg-oil fuel forum to share on here - apply wallpaper stripper steamer to the injector pump. 10 minutes of heating like this, and in a big cloud of steam it was off.
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Did you do the run to Durness and back in one hit Mark?

So far on the Kubota Enfield I’ve chewed through one primary chain, a battery and quite a bit of coolant - all in 4500 miles.
mark_in_manchester

I took 5 days over it - Manc-Mallaig was a long-ish shot and on the way back I did Iona-Manc in one go (well, with a couple of ferries), most of it in heavy rain. It was...damp! I ended up with no front brake, but apart from that nothing more unusual than the normal not-quite-right cooling situation and slight water useage. One day I'll take the head off... Here's a couple of pics, 1400 miles in all which is a long way for me. You sound a bit pissed off with your kubota option - is the increase in power not worth it? Womble who just showed up on here is my mate, and is planning to build a Z482-superdream - I keep suggesting he buys an enfield and follows closely in your footsteps! And another friend near here, Adam the Pole, has a Z482-V50 which has been all over the place, but like me no chains (primary or otherwise) to deal with. Does make gearing it correctly, expensive though.
Attachments
P7240108.JPG
P7230099.JPG
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

I’m actually very pleased with the Kubota powered Enfield, the primary chain demise was my own fault as the oil drip feed pipe had failed and I didn’t notice. Really it does need a belt drive so I’m saving up my pennies as they are rather pricey.

It is the biggest motor I would fit into an Enfield though.

The gearbox and clutch cable issues should now be solved, early 5 speeders are known to have these problems and this one has done an awful lot of miles.

Keep the faith
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Having ridden Dave's Sluggy the Second I can tell you the poweroutput is worth it.

When I was following him on my Shadow I had a moment where I was suprised by the accelleration of the thing and had to open the throttle to keep up. :lol:
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan