British Diesel Motorcycle Rally 2008 news

For all topics relating to Diesel motorcycles.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Stuart
Site Admin

British Diesel Motorcycle Rally 2008 news

Post by Stuart »

Guys,
Just got back from the Rally here in the U.K. and would like to thank all those who helped make it a success. That includes Mark, Dave, Brenda, Chris, Jeff, Shelly, the Band epsilon and everyone else :D As always, thanks to all those who took the trouble to come especially those from the continent and not forgetting Ireland - it would only be half the show without you guys :!: :D
We achieved several first's this year. To start with Andrea's & partner came over from Germany with his SMART engined bike, the first common rail machine we have seen at our event and secondly we broke our Diesel Bike attendance record with (by my count anyway) 27 machines making a show.
And good to see Fiddler's Diesel Sportster make its first appearance :D I'll try and get some words together for the main site in time. I've tried to change the page in preparation and to reflect that the event has now been and gone but it won't let me on :!: :? Be patient guys 8)

Last edited by Stuart on Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
Fiddler
Site Admin

Post by Fiddler »

Stuart,

No thanks necessary mate, I had a bloody marvellous time once more. Many thanks to you and yours who make this happen, without your enthusiasm and inspiration with the forum, website and rally there would be no UK diesel bike scene. I guess that makes you " Top Dog" mate :lol:

Great to meet all the other forum folks as well. Too many to list this year which was great and so much to see.
Cheers also to anyone who's ears I bent with endless questions about the finer points of diesel bike owning.

Diesel Davidson survived its first major run, with the only problem being the wing mirror stem which sheered off due to vibration fatigue. Time for rubber mounts, any chance of that link Sam?
Thrashed it somewhat on the way home, cruising around 70mph and still managed to average 132mpg, a little down on my earlier slow shakedown rides but when I finally get the comet tuned just right Im confident we can quote a real world 150mpg for the little twin.

Many thanks also to Jeff and the band for a real trip down memory lane.
Hope to see you all next year.

Cheers, Mark ( The Dog with the Hog )
Diesel Graham
Been here a while now..

Post by Diesel Graham »

I would like to say thanks aswell to all who arranged this meet.
It was my first long run on my diesel (150miles each way) and my first night in a tent.
It was great, see you all next year I hope.

Something funny on the way home... a motorcycle copper waved me in at a radar speed trap, I was almost hoping he had caught me speeding. After I stopped and took off my helmet, he said he was stopping all bikers in the area.
"you dont really fit the criteria of the people we were hoping to stop" he said, "I thought you were on a Harley Davidson".

So, dont go speeding on a harley then!
Enfield Taurus Greaves - running well now!
Lohmann 18cc - undergoing restoration
Dan J
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Thanks Stuart

Post by Dan J »

Having arrived in something that was neither diesel powered or, for that matter, a motorbike it was great to be so warmly received. My time at the rally was limited but it was great to meet the handful of people I did (Hi Graham, Henry, Bill and Tim plus your respective partners). I managed to miss Stuart and Dave who I'd meant to introduce myself to so hope to meet you guys at some point in the not too distant future.

Next year I'll hopefully be attending the event officially along with both bike and tent!

Cheers for organising Stuart...
sbrumby
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by sbrumby »

the link for Fidler or anybody else that needs mirror vibation dampers
http://www.getgeared.co.uk/acatalog/Mot ... rrors.html
Sam
Fiddler
Site Admin

Post by Fiddler »

Thanks Sam. They sell an imperial to metric adapter too, perfect :D
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

More coverage of the rally in the Sept edition of BSH. Two full pages! Thanks Bosun :D
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.