Yanmar Enfields

Where members can post their photos, interests, and other personal information.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

gunnersugden
I don't post much...

Yanmar Enfields

Post by gunnersugden »

Hi, Firstly I'll say hello. This is my first post, and I've really got the diesel bike bug.

I've just taken the first plunge, and this evening bought a used, but mint enfield four speed, for what I hope is the right money.

I have a Yanmar engine lined up........................and I have a lot of questions...............

I've read the 'riding on salad oil' website, which got my taste buds going. I'm not by any means mechanically useless, but I'm also not an engineer. I was really impressed with the quality of the brackets, spacers etc, that were used on the salad oil bike. That's where I'm aiming at for my bike. I saw Dragon's pictures, and that's what I'd like as an end product.I have no doubt that I'm going to have to commission them (engine mounting plate etc) from a local engineering company. If anyone has any suggestions as to whom, I'd be happy to hear from them.

I feel that the enfield appears to the the simplist, most popular, cheapest conversion................I thought that the Hatz was a beauty, but the price is now near £8k, which is way out of my league.

Would there be any interest on the forum for an Yanmar/enfield thread that pulls together all the wealth of info that there is and could act as a guide for the more challenged builder ( like me).

I presume that the Changfa parts are interchangeable with the Yanmar parts?, as my motor has no alternator, and I'd like the 13v charging system.

Enough for now, and thanks

Robin
Ih8Suvs
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by Ih8Suvs »

Welcome,

This forum is pretty small so its easy to find stuff and many of your questions have already been addressed. Have a good read and I am sure it will answer many of your questions.

The mounts are easy to make yourself, dead easy if you have access to a lathe, milling machine and welder.

As for the charging system, I would recommend ordering the genuine Yanmar 15 amp dynamo and use the existing Enfield regulator/rectifier. There are two flavors of dynamo available a 3 amp and a 15 amp. Get the 15 amp. There is a whole thread on this subject already posted. There is no need to order the Yanmar regulator, you already have a perfectly suitable one on the bike.

Which Yanmar engine do you have? Is your transmission right or left shift? If left, you will have to convert it back to right shift else the shift lever fouls on the wider primary. Unless you don't center the engine in the frame in which case it might be easier with left shift.

If you want your engine centered in the frame you will need the longer diesel transmission input shaft and inner primary. Heiko offset the engine and used the original input shaft and primary inner. Look at the pictures and you will see what I am talking about.

The Hatz engine that Jochen Sommer is using in the Enfield is a superior engine to the Yanmar Clones. A genuine Yanmar engine offers no real price advantage unless you found a great deal on a used one. The Clones are a workable economical solution, but they are not the quality of either the genuine Yanmar or the European engines.

The bike parked by Mount Rushmore on the Salad Oil Site is mine. If you want better pictures of the build, specifically the mounts, I can email them to you. I did them slightly different than Robert Altman or Andrew Waust, but in principal they are the same. Don'f forget a head stay, it is needed to provide triangulation support for the steering head.
Diesel Graham
Been here a while now..

Post by Diesel Graham »

Henry Price of Price Part motorcycles can sell you a full diesel conversion ready to bolt in (small amount of welding also needed)
Enfield Taurus Greaves - running well now!
Lohmann 18cc - undergoing restoration
gunnersugden
I don't post much...

Post by gunnersugden »

Thanks for the replies.

Are there any problems with insurance in the uk? especially if you chop and weld the frame?

If the engine is mounted offset, are there any problems with doing so?. I would have thought that it would have been both easier and cheaper to do so?.......unless it affects balance or something else........

I don't yet know which shaft is fitted to the Yanmar...........I presume it will make a difference?.

I spoke to part price today, who said that a 5 speed box conversion was not possible.............................?

Thanks

Rob
Diesel Graham
Been here a while now..

Post by Diesel Graham »

I've not heard of any complications with frame welding, it is only one weld after all. You dont need the 5 speed, 4 is plenty especially with the yanmar engine (better than the standard enfield diesel).
Enfield Taurus Greaves - running well now!
Lohmann 18cc - undergoing restoration