Aixam Diesel belt thickness

Dedicated to the CVT...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Aixam Diesel belt thickness

Post by alexanderfoti »

Hi all

All the Aixam CVT suppliers ask for vin numbers etc.

Can anybody tell me what their thickness of the cvt belt is? I suspect its 32mm, but I have been supplied both for various aixam 500 diesels....
The-Original-T
Been here a while now..

Re: Aixam Diesel belt thickness

Post by The-Original-T »

Hi Alex,

Got your PM but thought I'd post my reply on here to benefit all.
Turns out my original pulley set was incorrect for the vehicle it was fitted too but CVTech sent me this e-mail which I'm sure will help you,
You can confirm this belt is correct for your pulleys buy the pulley part numbers in this e-mail too, belt should be part number D3211AA1096 ( width = 34mm) :mrgreen:
Aixam Pulley and Drive Belt Info.pdf
(22.71 KiB) Downloaded 614 times
CVTech unfortunately confirmed in another e-mail that no belts other than the one mentioned above are acceptable for this pulley set (incase you wanted a different C/C distance :( )
Last edited by The-Original-T on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits :lol:
The-Original-T
Been here a while now..

Post by The-Original-T »

Also.....

This is the pulley set I have bought from them new - if your pulleys part numbers match these part numbers then you can use any one of the belts mentioned in the drawing depending on your C/C distance.
CVTech Belt Options.pdf
(502.55 KiB) Downloaded 624 times
Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits :lol:
gilburton
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by gilburton »

I suspect you will want a belt from the Aixam 500/5 which was the early car. Same as the one "the original T" has just broken.
You could always ask Tim what car the donor was?
According to the manual the belt is worn at 28.5 mm which is app 2mm less than a new belt.
Basically the belt should not be lower than the rear pulley edges(not under tension)
Workshop manual link
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ec1adjx9gpo ... _S8_UK.pdf
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Thanks both.

I did try a belt from a 500.5 and its 34mm wide and very very diffilcult to get onto the pulleys.

I did suceed, but the tension on the front made me wonder if it was too wide.

It also sat proud of the rear pulley.

The old belt measured at 30.5mm when worn, but slips on the rear pulley, depending on how aggressive you are from a standstill.
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

According to the 500/5 workshop manual "the belt should be changed at 28.5mm which is app 2mm less than new". That is exactly what it says so it would appear your original belt may be ok as a new belt should be app 30.5mm.
Something is wrong somewhere? Either the new belt is wrong or, because the cvt is sitting in a non original installation, the pulleys are not the correct distance apart.
Did you not contact Tim to ask what cvt/belt he used on the build or what model car it came from?
If you could establish what car it came from you could then order by the correct part number.
I assume your sliding weights are correct for a diesel and the rear spring also?
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Yes, it does say that

BUT

that would mean the new belt at 34mm is a bit too thick.

The annoying thing is, i have replaced this belt in the past, this one has a 5000 miles or so in it, but I wore it out messing about with the CVT ratios and I cannot remember where I bought it from.

I have lost contact with Tim, I was hoping to go to the big knock this year but but health issues prevented that, frustratingly. I havent got any up to date contact numbers for him and he hasn't been online in a while.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

The outside diameter is exactly the same as the old belt BTW.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

I have fitted the thicker belt back.

I have compared the dimensions, its wider but the same OD, same ID and same Depth to the V.

So, I will run the thicker belt for a few miles and see how it behaves.
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

As long as the front pulley disengages or isn't trying to engage at idle it should be ok.
There are quite a few Aixam belts but,as you say, they just list the part numbers with no dimensions.
If you have a local bearing/industrial drive dealer they can usually help with belts and possibly give you a slightly shorter belt to the original dimension.
With my 9hp Robin engine drive slip wasn't a problem :lol:
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Well, the belt ran very hot so I switched back to the old belt.

I ordered D3211AA1096 from an Italian belt supplier and it arrived (and is identical to the old one), but the shipping was nearly the same as the belt itself!

Is there a cross reference for D3211AA1096 to an Aixam part number

or

is B3211AA1096 the same? Lots of those about.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

gilburton wrote:As long as the front pulley disengages or isn't trying to engage at idle it should be ok.
There are quite a few Aixam belts but,as you say, they just list the part numbers with no dimensions.
If you have a local bearing/industrial drive dealer they can usually help with belts and possibly give you a slightly shorter belt to the original dimension.
With my 9hp Robin engine drive slip wasn't a problem :lol:
Thanks, the belt was dragging a bit more at idle than the old belt.

Not a bad idea, will take the NEW Cr030 maked belt that just arrived to the local place and see if I can match it up.