Flickering lights

Wiring, Switches, Alternators, Regulators, etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Flickering lights

Post by alexanderfoti »

Hi all

Just finishing up swapping the engine on my Superdream and I have an issue.

The new engine requires a facet type fuel pump on the inlet side. Unfortunately my LED dashboard lights and LED headlights flicker along with the fuel pump.

My incandescent tail lights do not flicker.

Any ideas?
gilburton
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Flickering lights

Post by gilburton »

Sounds like a voltage problem as LED's are sensitive to voltage drop.
Check the battery is good as well as all the earths especially the engine earth.
If you are running a standard car type alternator there is probably no real need for LED's unless you are running a low output alternator on the flywheel as most yanclone types have.
I'm not well enough up on electrics but I expect some sort of component to smooth out the voltage drop when the pump operates would help?
the grinch
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by the grinch »

Hi you could try some sort of a suppressor or a choke on the fuel pump this might take the pulse away. I think you can get them for alternators to prevent radio interface. Also if you are running the superdream harness make sure the connections are good as they did tend to corrode.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

So I feel a bit silly. It was the voltage rail that was being pulled down by the pump. Probably the ageing superdream wiring!

I ran a relay from the switched 12v to the battery directly and no more flickering.