spacers/Shims for IP and Repair replace IP

Getting the pumbing right for your Diesel fuel feed..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

spacers/Shims for IP and Repair replace IP

Post by coachgeo »

The timing spacers for the IP are set at the factory. When swapping pumps.... to one from another engine... do you reuse the spacers from "your" engine's former IP...... or do you use the spacers that were on the engine the pump came from?

Anotherwords....... does the timing factory set match with the engine casing....... or the IP? Im guessing probably a little of both but leans mostly toward one or the other. Sooooo. what is your .02? I've read the manual thru but no mention... or I missed it.
coachgeo

Re: spacers/Shims for IP and Repair replace IP

Post by coachgeo »

update of what got so far.

IP on my engine had one brass shim. Same size as one on the other IP I got it appears. Buttt...... on the one I just removed from my engine there is also two gaskets... both stacked above the brass shim that sat against the engine case...... are they actually shims also?
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Any ideas or thoughts?
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

You will need to re time your engine if swapping pumps over.
Don't know why someone has used gaskets instead of the more normal shims but yes they will affect the timing.
If you haven't got a manual that explains this try searching for a Yanmar manual.
You could just put them all on and see how it performs and try removing one at a time and compare results but I think I read somewhere that one shim equated to 1 degree of timing?
It's the main holiday period in the UK so possibly you'll get some answers in a week or so?