yanclone (DEK) 418cc not running to well

Getting the pumbing right for your Diesel fuel feed..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

yanclone (DEK) 418cc not running to well

Post by coachgeo »

on my route home last night she was running pretty poorly and rolling coal.

Decided to pull fuel filter Sparky put in there. Will replace it.

Couple questions.

Fuel Filter.... Sparky used a metal filter (pictured) with an in out (typical) plus a third port..... used for Injector overflow. The filter was oriented as pictured below. She is too dirty on the metal casing to see if there is flow indicator. I'm guessing she is oriented correctly. My question is do you think this set up would let air bubble back up into tank this way? Assuming some sort of full time Air Bleed is needed.
20170718_131615_resized.jpg
Also pictured is IP from up under the tank. What is the knob ontop of the IP? left corner of IP cover. Is that some sort of IP timing adjust?
20170718_131707_resized.jpg
coachgeo

Re: yanclone (DEK) 418cc not running to well

Post by coachgeo »

Also....... does the IP's on these put a vacuum on the incoming fuel lines at all? Found what may be an issue with the petcock and could see the potential to pull air thru this if there is any vacuum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujLsVIcmvRg
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

-

Only seeing the injector on that bottom pic.
Ron
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

pietenpol2002 wrote:-

Only seeing the injector on that bottom pic.
sorry my bad....... yes last picture shows Injector on bottom right corner and on top left corner of the "Valve cover" (not IP as previously stated) is what appears to be a plastic knob. Yellow/orange-ish in color that am referring too
mark_in_manchester

Post by mark_in_manchester »

I use a see-through plastic 2-port fuel filter, and see-through plastic tubing. If you try that, you can see whether there are any bubbles floating around. From my experience (Daihatsu 3 cyl) you might need a lot of bubbles to notice it running odd, and it sets in first at larger throttle settings, ticking over happily with a lot of air around.
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

-
Yellow/orange-ish in color that am referring too
See page 112 #4 and accompanying warning. And most use WD40 in lieu of the referenced "lubricating oil".

http://www.winget.co.uk/document/YANMAR ... MANUAL.pdf

-
Ron
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Thanks guys for input on the valve cover port.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

coachgeo wrote:on my route home last night she was running pretty poorly and rolling coal.

Couple questions.

Fuel Filter.... Sparky or other owners later used a metal filter (pictured) with an in/out (typical) plus a third port..... used in this case for Injector overflow. The filter was oriented as pictured below. ...she is oriented correctly. My question is do you think this set up would let air bubble back up into tank this way? Assuming some sort of full time Air Bleed is needed.
20170718_131615_resized.jpg
Any input on this?
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

coachgeo wrote:
coachgeo wrote:on my route home last night she was running pretty poorly and rolling coal.

Couple questions.

Fuel Filter.... Sparky or other owners later used a metal filter (pictured) with an in/out (typical) plus a third port..... used in this case for Injector overflow. The filter was oriented as pictured below. ...she is oriented correctly. My question is do you think this set up would let air bubble back up into tank this way? Assuming some sort of full time Air Bleed is needed.

pic..
Any input on this?
Going to answer my own question so it might help someone else. Spoke with Sparky... original builder of this bike. Yes the intent is for air to bubble up. Took apart this filter out of curiosity and other reasons (more on that below) and the inlet of 3rd port on the side has nothing special inside. No snorkle to the top. Just lets fuel into the unit about 1/4" from the bottom. Fuel entering there still has to pass thru filter media before exiting the bottom of the filter and heading off IP. Air that comes thru this should bubble up and thru top port where fuel enters and make its way to the tank.

Now, why else did I cut it open..... apparently this is a generic metal fuel filter. I think it was Curtis who welded a Conduit bracket onto it so it could be bolted to an available bracket on the frame. Sooo.. Not wanting to loose this sweet little bracket Curtis made.... decided to utilize this old filter with bracket still attached as a cup to hold the new filter.

So, I cut top 1/2 off. This basically formed a little Shot Glass cup. Bracket still attached is the handle. Still had on it the fuel out port on the bottom along with the 3rd port so since it would not hold any booze anyway due to those. Then proceeded to hack it up more. Cut a 1/3rd of the side of this cup off. Left bottom of the cup intact... but not for long. This removed the 3rd port also. Now cut a slot along bottom from edge to center removing the fuel OUT port. So now I basically had a tiny shot Glass with 1/3rd of it missing and a gaping slot in its bottom. Hope was that new filter would fit into this hacked up cup so I could utilize it as its mount.

Well.... I'll be damned..... looks like it worked. The new fuel filter clips into it rather snugly and can bolt it back to same sport the other one was.

New filter... same as old one... but no bracket welded on
20170818_155228_resized.jpg

trimmed old one.. shows conduit bracket that Curtis welded on as well
20170818_155335_resized.jpg

different view
20170818_155352_resized.jpg

New filter snapped into modified old filter. Say snapped in... cause new one literally snaps in. Very firm hold. Sweeet... She mounted up to the bike just fine in the same location as before.
20170818_155518_resized.jpg
Last edited by coachgeo on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Figured dirty injector (poor atomization) may be part of the issue so started to pull the injector. Unfortunately, it ended up stuck hmmm... crap!

In the spirit of keeping what's going on with this project in the pertinent sections of this board; branched off into other places to discuss some of the steps in the correct sections. So without further ado. here is more specific info on removing the stuck injector.. Wrote up that adventure here.... viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3361

Today got the injector out. Ordered new one once new the proper one to get. Figured while was at it today with the injector and pump out I'de clean her insides out a bit by filling the cylinder and block with some chemicals. Put in 1/2 Marvel Mystery Oil and 1/2 ATF in cylinder and in the crankcase and will let it soak a week. Chose a week mostly cause only get one day a week to work on her weather permitting.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

updated filter pics.