Royal Enfield Bullet- Winsun R2V840- CVT

On-going, finished, abandoned builds & questions galore..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

UAofE
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Royal Enfield Bullet- Winsun R2V840- CVT

Post by UAofE »

We finally started work on it today.

This is how it started out before we removed the old single-cylinder engine.

We cut out the front vertical supports so we could clearance check the engine.
So far it will sit at an 8 degree forward tilt for better clearance rear side.
Good news is both valve covers can be removed for service without pulling the engine! I might even be able to get the rear off without pulling the fuel tank.
Bad news is we will need a new CVT. The Comet 44C/44D is just too small for the engine and I believe without a doubt it won't handle the torque. We will swap it out for a Comet 94C/90D. That has a better ratio spread and a ribbed drive clutch over is available for even better torque capacity.
The intercooler idea is out. We couldn't find something small enough that will fit behind the forks and all the other ideas for the intercooler we currently have would either look ridiculous or need excessive tube lengths (such as mounting it in front of the forks or down low).
The turbo will easily fit above the engine and under the existing fuel tank without any modification.
Already had to helicoil a bolthole; one of the intake manifold bolts pulled the threads out with it.

There is still a depressingly large list of things to do, such as:
Rewire everything to get rid of the clusterfūk behind the headlight. Will probably do weather-pack connectors for corrosion resistance.
Cradle front support.
Figure out how we are going to control a throttle that has about 1/4" total movement and moves the opposite direction we need for cable control (maybe use a compounding lever?)
Install the turbo (oil lines, exhaust headers, intake connection)
Switch the front wheel for a disc brake version.
Mount the pannier cans.

The plan is to do a full, runnable build to get all the details sorted. After we make any necessary tweaks we will tear it down to the frame and get everything painted.
The jury is still out on if I will paint the engine or leave it "naked". I'm leaning to painting because touch-up will be easier and I have heard the "plated" items (like the starter and bolt heads) will corrode and turn fuzzy white.
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D
coachgeo

Re: Royal Enfield Bullet- Winsun R2V840- CVT

Post by coachgeo »

Looks great. Congrads on getting started and getting so far so fast.

You know there is builder out your way with a few ready to go diesel enfileds and kit parts possibly as well? http://www.motorearth.com/index.html
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

What a coincidence, thats exactly who I'm building my bike with! :wink:
Tom and Aaron are great people. Its just unfortunate they got stuck with so-so quality bikes from their supplier in India. If they had been given a high quality base product they probably would have been more likely to make their business viable. But correcting all the little flaws to make a bike they're willing to put their name on was just too time consuming and depressing.
Right now they just sold the last of their builds (a kit for somebody who intends to install a TDI) and are wholesaling what chassis/engines/parts they have left.
2006 Honda Rebel
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

After the three of us taking turns every week being sick or out of town, we have finally made a small bit of progress.

Went through the wiring harness to make sure no Indian repairs were hidden inside, luckily everything was free of corrosion and hacking! Just wrapped it up with new tape.
Got rid of the incandescent bulbs and installed LED in everything but the rear center brake/tail light.
The front turn signal eyes have been removed in favor of converting the pilot lights into turn signals.
Not sure if I like the horns out front and center, but they will definitely be heard!

Next session will focus on pulling the small Comet clutch so we can sell it off, figuring out a throttle linkage system and mounting the pannier boxes.
2006 Honda Rebel
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

After a month we finally got more progress on the wiring harness, started on the pannier boxes and got the engine running.

Governor limits speed to 2300rpm instead of 3600rpm.
Removed the stop solenoid guts. Stopping the engine will be by the throttle linkage and the fuel tank has a manual fuel valve.
Its relatively quiet despite open exhaust ports. With the turbo I will probably have no noise trouble running straight pipe.
It has a lot of vibration, but it hasn't run-in yet and we haven't checked injection timing. Tomorrow I will see about strapping down our "test bench" and let it run for a while to get warm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I9fWNg8hb4
2006 Honda Rebel
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

Ran it some more today. It does get up to 3600rpm, I just wasn't pushing hard enough on the lever. Moving the springs to the outer notches may resolve that.
2006 Honda Rebel
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

Unfortunately it wasn't to be. After getting the bigger CVT we realized just how much of a monster this thing really is. The engine with clutch is nearly as wide as the handlebars even if we were to cut down the crankshaft as far as possible.

The new plan is to use a Kubota OC95, turbo and comet CVT already on hand and possibly put it into my 2006 Honda Rebel chassis.

So, that means we have a Royal Enfield Bullet chassis and Winsun R2V840 up for sale in the Denver area.
Anyone interested in the package deal will get an Enfield 4-speed transmission to go with it.
2006 Honda Rebel
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

UAofE wrote:Unfortunately it wasn't to be. After getting the bigger CVT we realized just how much of a monster this thing really is. The engine with clutch is nearly as wide as the handlebars even if we were to cut down the crankshaft as far as possible..........
And the problem with that is???
Attachments
BMWMM20-spread4.jpg
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

My engine would be about twice as heavy with a higher center of gravity.
2006 Honda Rebel
MissMax
I don't post much...

Post by MissMax »

I have riden a lot of bikes over the including the famous Boss Hoss. That's a big bike for sure and wide.

Drop me a note about your sale and let's talk.

MsRandiCook@gmail.com

Thanks!
2013 URAL Gear Up 2WD
2009 Yamaha V Max