Hamm 2014 - 12th to 14th Sept

Talk about riding, events, meets, rally's, etc...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Dates for Hamm 2014.
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
Stuart
Site Admin

Re: Hamm 2014 - 12th to 14th Sept

Post by Stuart »

And so it starts... :)

"Thanks a lot, but oh sh*t ! That is when the elk-hunting season starts up here in the north :-( Such is life, you cannot have it all, can you ? :-/ "
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
Anorak_ian
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by Anorak_ian »

I think I have an appointment to have my nostrils plucked. :lol:

Seriously, I would love to go to the European bike week in Austria (2-7th Sept) and then bum around doing the tourist thing for a few days, then drop down to Hamm.
But, we are still looking to move house, as the pub on the edge of Dartmoor fell through. So did the property and land with the amazingly scenic view in Lynton north Devon, and another in Princetown.

Until we've moved it's all a bit up in the air as to what I'll be doing this year, even the Big Knock.
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

I'm thinking of going but where will the event take place?
Here? http://www.brauhof-wilshaus.de/content.php?id=1
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

Tetronator wrote:I'm thinking of going but where will the event take place?
Here? http://www.brauhof-wilshaus.de/content.php?id=1
Yup, that's the place.
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Allrighty then! Thanks.

Honda VT600 C Shadow
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

This is my events page, I did take it off in the past as so many events were no more. I recently put it back on my site as information can get a little hard to find at times. http://www.dieselbikebuilder.co.uk/dies ... events.htm

You can download the DMCR (diesel motorcycle rally's) app for your Tomtom or Garmin satnav's on my site http://www.dieselbikebuilder.co.uk/dieselbiker/apps.htm
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Sweet, that'll be handy. Sadly enough, (not really), I do not own a Garmin or 'StomStom', (as we call them in dutch). Nevertheless thanks for the info!

Honda VT600 C Shadow
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

The tomtom apps can also be used with CoPilot for your Android phone.
I have to update the website with this info.
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

For those willing, I'll be running a backroads route from the Hook of Holland through Rotterdam (picking up those landing at this port from Hull), to the Rally site.

Perhaps see a few windmills, stop off for a spot of lunch somewhere and generally take the whole Friday getting there.
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Anorak_ian wrote:The tomtom apps can also be used with CoPilot for your Android phone.
I have to update the website with this info.
I didn't know that, but I am allready using NavFree in combination with my own 3D printed and modeled (Solidworks) phone holder for my bike. :P
Diesel Dave wrote:For those willing, I'll be running a backroads route from the Hook of Holland through Rotterdam (picking up those landing at this port from Hull), to the Rally site.

Perhaps see a few windmills, stop off for a spot of lunch somewhere and generally take the whole Friday getting there.
Cool, might join you in that. You following the lekdijk or the waal? I can tell you the lekdijk is fun but the people who live along it are kinda annoyed by bikers, sadly enough. :(

Honda VT600 C Shadow
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

All are welcome although it will be at a casual pace, but according to the Sat Nav:

From the Hook of Holland

Gouda
Culemborg
Aalst
Doornik
Millingen aan den Rijn
Grieth
Cross river at Reeserschanz
Bergen
Unterbauerschaft
Erle
Strock
Bossendorf
Ahsen
Hachhausen
Pelkum
Bypass south of Lunen
Runthe
Caldenhof
Brauhof Willshaus

For those landing at Rotterdam we could possibly meet up at Gouda

Nothing set in stone, all are flexible as required. :D
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Shame I cant stick the whole route in google maps. :(
I took the liberty of putting the dutch side of the route in there, avoiding highways. Alltough this probably isn't your route.

https://www.google.nl/maps/dir/Hoek+van ... !3e0?hl=nl

Seems to me your avoiding the fun roads, why would you do that? :P

Lekdijk : https://www.google.nl/maps/dir/Lekdijk+ ... !3e0?hl=nl

Waaldijk :
https://www.google.nl/maps/dir/Rivierdi ... !3e0?hl=nl

I have ridden the Lekdijk and I can tell you its a nice road. Waaldijk I have yet to do, but it looks fun doesn't it?

Honda VT600 C Shadow
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

I bow to local knowledge, Sat Nav's will never replace first hand knowledge.

If your willing to lead I'm sure we can follow. :D
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Well I'm willing but I have never led, (many bikes) also you call it local knowledge but I have only ever ridden the lekdijk twice and the waaldijk never, I could preride it... sounds like fun... might do that. :D
Maximum speed is also something to be concerned about, depending on the bikes that will be joining. Highways are out of the question I guess. Minimum safe speed on dutch highways is 100 km/h.

Honda VT600 C Shadow
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Hey there!

Just bumping this to check if there still is any animo for the ride from the hook of holland over the waaldijk to Germany.
If there is any I'm going to pre-ride the route, I'd also like to know whose coming and what time would be best to start/meet up.

In short ; Starting to plan things.

Oh, vehicle limitations is something I'd like to know about. Like top speed for example, So I can take that into consideration on the route.

Honda VT600 C Shadow
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

We'll be booking tickets very soon. Newhaven departure 11pm on Tuesday 9th ferry if anyone wants to join up? We'll not be in any kind of a hurry to get there or get back :-)
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

You'll be landing in Dieppe I guess? Don't know what route you'll take but no-one has responded to my offer yet, might meet up with you somewhere along your route.

Honda VT600 C Shadow
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

We avoid the main routes & start by taking the very scenic D1 road. We may (& I stress may) end up at the Mons municipal campsite for lunchtime?

http://www.campingmap.net/object.aspx/1 ... u_wauxhall
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Ok, so nowhere near my route. Guess I'll see you there.

Honda VT600 C Shadow
oldbmw

Post by oldbmw »

Tuesday the 2nd sept, I will be going the other way to UK :) hopefully returning on the 3rd. (via Caen to Portsmouth)
Larry
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Well, as nobody has responded to my offer I think I shall be going there on my own arriving early friday.
What are the sleeping arrangement over there? Do I just bring my tent and pitch it up somewhere? Costs? Anything else I should know about?

Honda VT600 C Shadow
Dan J

Post by Dan J »

Tetronator wrote:Well, as nobody has responded to my offer I think I shall be going there on my own arriving early friday.
What are the sleeping arrangement over there? Do I just bring my tent and pitch it up somewhere? Costs? Anything else I should know about?
Hey Alexander. I think you're just suffering people being busy and the forum being quiet at the moment. Willy's Brauhof is a great place to visit - just turn up with your tent. It'll be obvious where to pitch it and I guarantee you won't be the first there. It's always been free to camp over the weekend and I do not believe it'll be any different this year - buy a few of Willy's beers and he'll be happy (and so will you!). Breakfast is usually sorted Saturday and Sunday mornings for something like 8 euros and Willy does plenty of food during the day so you don't need to take any food yourself unless you want to.

I'd normally get the ferry from Harwich to Hoek van Holland so would've been happy to meet up but this year if I can make it (unfortunately still to be confirmed) I'll be going via the Eurotunnel.

Dan
1990 Honda NTV600 Revere
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

I've been a tad busy lately and not had much of a chance to post and join in the planning fun but so long as I can get Friday off work I'll be on the Thurs evening ferry from Harwich which docks at 07:45 Friday morning.

Also means I've only got today to get the bike and camping gear prepped.

Must buy some petrol for the stove.... :D
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Right Sluggy's all prepped, I had to back off the injection timing as he was detonating on startup, another shim under the pump and no - detonation and no 60mph now either... :(

Footpegs falling off again, exhaust even more rusty, tank full of slime cleaned out, brake switch glued back together; some air in the tyres and we are good to go.

Camping gear all sorted too, so just need to secure Friday off work and grab some Euro's.
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Woah, Responses... :shock:
Dan J wrote:
Tetronator wrote:Well, as nobody has responded to my offer I think I shall be going there on my own arriving early friday.
Hey Alexander. I think you're just suffering people being busy and the forum being quiet at the moment. Willy's Brauhof is a great place to visit - just turn up with your tent. It'll be obvious where to pitch it and I guarantee you won't be the first there. It's always been free to camp over the weekend and I do not believe it'll be any different this year - buy a few of Willy's beers and he'll be happy (and so will you!). Breakfast is usually sorted Saturday and Sunday mornings for something like 8 euros and Willy does plenty of food during the day so you don't need to take any food yourself unless you want to.

I'd normally get the ferry from Harwich to Hoek van Holland so would've been happy to meet up but this year if I can make it (unfortunately still to be confirmed) I'll be going via the Eurotunnel.

Dan
Allright, bringing my tent and taste for good beers then! :D Shame you can't meet up I even pre-rode the waaldijk a couple of days ago. Plenty of sights and a nice winding Dike road. Even some windmills.

Diesel Dave wrote:I've been a tad busy lately and not had much of a chance to post and join in the planning fun but so long as I can get Friday off work I'll be on the Thurs evening ferry from Harwich which docks at 07:45 Friday morning.

Also means I've only got today to get the bike and camping gear prepped.

Must buy some petrol for the stove.... :D
Diesel Dave wrote:Right Sluggy's all prepped, I had to back off the injection timing as he was detonating on startup, another shim under the pump and no - detonation and no 60mph now either... :(

Footpegs falling off again, exhaust even more rusty, tank full of slime cleaned out, brake switch glued back together; some air in the tyres and we are good to go.

Camping gear all sorted too, so just need to secure Friday off work and grab some Euro's.
No worries Dave, nothing has been planned aside from me going there as noone else has signed up so you havn't missed anything. If you still want to meet up, tell me if you can get Friday off. I can decide last minute (Thursday) to still meet up with you. Sounds like your not going onto any highways and definitly no autobahns. :P

Honda VT600 C Shadow
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

I've done the autobahns, even managed to average 44mph one year with total dedication, :D

We have a whole day and the only deadline is to arrive before dark for tent setting up.

Reserve me a good spot and a large piece of whatever's on the spit roast!

I'll be there.
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

:shock: You've done the autobahn with 60 mph?... Isn't that really dangerous?... At least on a bike, I'd try it with reluctance in a car but no way I'd do it on a motorcycle and thats talking about dutch highways. But your right about the deadline, why take the highway when there's fun roads to be ridden right? :D

2:00 Route to waaldijk:
https://www.google.nl/maps/dir/51.97832 ... !3e0?hl=nl

2:30 Waaldijk:
https://www.google.nl/maps/dir/Rivierdi ... !3e0?hl=nl

3:00 Route to the rally:
https://www.google.nl/maps/dir/51.85390 ... !3e0?hl=nl

This would take 8 hours to ride. Avoiding highways and autobahn. We can save about an hour if we take the highway trough Rotterdam. Alltough there's going to be traffic jams in all likelyhood, Don't know how much experience you have with filtering trough traffic?

Honda VT600 C Shadow
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

Tetronator wrote: But your right about the deadline, why take the highway when there's fun roads to be ridden right? :D
That's fine right up to the point when you turn your lights on and your battery turns in to a kebab shop. 23 hours it took me to get there. Dutch and German B roads are no fun when all you have is an led pilot light to light your way :( .
Diesel Dave wrote:Reserve me a good spot and a large piece of whatever's on the spit roast!

You mean keep the hot dog warm, surely.

Oh, forgot to say the gearbox blew up again.

Sorry, being a total downer again. I'm sure you'll have a damn good time.
Last edited by Anorak_ian on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Anorak_ian wrote:
Tetronator wrote: But your right about the deadline, why take the highway when there's fun roads to be ridden right? :D
That's fine right up to the point when you turn your lights on and your battery turns in to a kebab shop. 23 hours it took me to get there. Dutch and German B roads are no fun when all you have is an led pilot light to light your way :( .
Diesel Dave wrote:Reserve me a good spot and a large piece of whatever's on the spit roast!

You mean keep the hot dog warm, surely.

Oh, forgot to say the gearbox blew up again.
Sweet! Even a goldwing doesn't have a kebab shop! :lol: Pretty nasty tough. So you joining or does the blown gearbox mean your out of a ride? Also, again?...

Honda VT600 C Shadow