The DIZH

On-going, finished, abandoned builds & questions galore..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

espe
I luv the smell of Diesel...

The DIZH

Post by espe »

I've been restoring motorbikes and stationary dieselengines for over thirty years now. But it took a rainfilled
sunday afternoon, and me being bored out off my skull wandering around in my workshed, for me to see the light!
Staring down at a partially dismantled planeta 2
my eyes, as if guided by a higher force, were drawn to a topshelf behind me. It took a while for the visual
information to be filtered down the saturdaynight beer induced haze that was clouding my brain, but there it was!
An old russian bike with a chinese dieselengine built in Holland, can it get any better? Offcourse it can! But not for me
and not back there and then.
I remembered having an IZH56 frame lying around somewhere witch was already completely stipped down. I found it an put it
on the workbench. Next I stripped down the engine to its bare necesseties and tried to fit it into the frame.
And what do you know, it fitted exactly..not! :evil:
So, out came the good old angle grinder and with a carefull minor adjustment even a Lister JP would have fitted! :roll:
I closed up the gap with some thickwalled construction tubing and so fase one was completed!
Somehow my ever optimistic brain let me to believe I was well underway at this point, little did I know!
So I opened another beer and took the time to stand back and enjoy the work so far.It was november and in my
mind I was allready cruising the boulevards with it coming May.. :mrgreen:

O.k.Guys, the story will be continued, but for now I have to go over to a friend's house to help him get rid off
some beers. Later!
As long as it smokes, it runs!
coachgeo

Re: The DIZH

Post by coachgeo »

Great start. Love the "story" your wrapping around the technical bits
espe

Post by espe »

O.k, I found a moment between beers to tell a bit more.
The following day I looked at my build with a sober mind.And while a little midget with a very big hammer was
enjoying himselve inside my head,I was trying to find some sense in what I had created :( .A 10hp diesel engine with
a maximum revolution of 3600 a minute...from China...In a Russian frame...With no room left for a transmission..
F*CK !!! I knew I had forgotten something! The clutch and gearbox, where was I going to put those?? :shock:
This was when I decided that it might be a good idea to first think things over for a bit. Consulting the internet I saw
a movie on youtube about a guy who had build a dieselmotorbike with a CVT gearing..Eureka! This was the way to go!
I chose a Comet 780 CVT system. The ratio of this system covered an area from 4:1 up to 0.78:1 which in my opinion
should be enough to pull up and reach a reasonable top speed with the original secondairy chainwheel of the IZH.
Furthermore the Comet 780 is laid out to react on torque rather then speed. So I recon that this is a better choise for a diesel engine.
The only downside is the size of the CVT but as I always say; size doesn't matter! 8)
With renewed energy I went to work on the bike. First thing I dit was starting up my pre-WW2 machinery and make a
secondary axle
Next I had to fix the engine as well as the secondary axle to the frame in order to have a centralised point from
where the rest of the build could originate.
As you can see on the last picture it took a miner alteration of one of the central downtubes in order to make room
for the secondary CVT pulley.I also had to reposition the attachment points of the rear bridge.
Arriving at this point I started to believe again that this project might turn out to be a bit more than just a waste of time and
material. But at the same time my hopes for cruizing the boulevards in May had faded away since there is always this time consuming thing called
work that i have to deal with every day. :|
Though I am a lot further with the build by now, I will dose the information to you guys.
To be continued..
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Hi espe,

Please mark 7-9 september in your calendar, so you can take your car to Hamm in Germany and spend a nice Saturday and/or Sunday amongst all kinds of dieselbikes :)

Excellent build so far, and great that you are adding so much pictures!
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

have you taken into account for the contraction/expansion of the CVT pully's? One member here ran into that. Ratios to RPM to Power Curve to desired speed all seemed to be right but for some reason the bike couldn't do it. With much head scratching he realized one of the pully's was hitting a frame member; not allowing it to fully move thru its range of motion thus limiting its ability to reach the top end ratio.
espe

Post by espe »

Hi Coachgeo,
Yes, thats why i Altered the left central downtube. For this reason however the CVT takes up more room then one would expect at first :( .
DieselFly

Post by DieselFly »

I flip the rear wheel over and put the chain on the right side. A simple cross shaft for the brake makes the whole mess easier. But you do get to drink more beer :lol:
Finished and riding 1975
CB500t Turbo Punsun powered
hardtail.
espe

Post by espe »

Decisions, decisions.
They take up a lot of my available building time. Since there are two sets of parts that i can choose from i decided
that it might be a good idea to position some items on the frame in order to dicide which parts to use. That however didn't help
me a bit. So I decided to post the pictures on the Dutch forum for owners of Russian motorcycles.
First the tank was evaluated. Not minding the quality of the paint and stuff the choise was between the '58 tank:
And the 68 model:
The 58 model won the competition, and I was glad it did. Somehow the older the parts, the better the looks.
Next decision was which seat to use. An original Russian IZH seat:
Or an old German Pagusa seat from a BMW:
On this item not only the looks counted, but comfort was an issue as well. Therefore I placed both seats on a frame and
sat on them for a while. First in line was the Russian seat. I decided that Russian people must hate comfort! The steel
rim on the backside of the seat forced one to sit more to the front of the seat. At the front however a petruding bulb
threatens ones familyjewels to be crushed at the first bump in the road :evil: . After two beers my arse cramped up, so I mounted the
Pagusa to the frame and sat down...Wow, German quality!! This is the seat I'm gonna use. It really is a ten beers kinda seat. :D

In the timeline of this story it's the beginning of december now (that's in tune with the weather at the moment). Here in
Holland most of us don't celebrate cristmas with presents and stuff, no we have sinterklaas. This is kind of the brother of
santaclaus. But he arrives two weeks earlier with a steamboat and owns a horse that can run on rooftops! :roll: He is not accompanied by
elves, but by hundreds of negroes all named zwarte piet (black piet). They have to climb in and out the chimneys to
deliver the presents to the little children, or take them away in a big bag if they were naughty. So most of the children
behave perfectly around this time of year :twisted: . The celebration for them is a kind of Russian roulette because in most of their
minds it can go both ways... :mrgreen:
But I must have behaved perfectly because I got a perfect present! Just look:
A second hand Girder frontfork. Long enough to level the DIZH out after the frame alteration! How could Sinterklaas have
known this? He really moves in misterious ways..

The rear bridge of the bike had to be moved to make room for the secondary drive axle. I had decided to use two
plummerblock housing bearings for this purpose. This would move the rear wheel 14 cm (about 5.5") to the back.
Unfortunately I learned from the RDW (Dutch MOT) that placing the bridge more than 10 cm to the back would result
in having to present them with a stress analysis if I ever wanted to get the bike registered :evil: . So back to the drawing board
and rethink the plan. It took a lot of fitting, welding and grinding to eventually get a fixing for the rear bridge.
Looking at it now it doesn't seem like much but this part of the build took a long time.
Being quite convinced that I have the final geometry down now, I welded in some reinforcement plates.
After this i mounted the secondary drive axle and rear bridge to evaluate where I was at.
So far so good. Now it was time to place the engine and see if it would still fit.
A tight fit! And ofcourse I could claim that its all due to my perfect measuring skills. Thruth is i had a lot of luck
as well :wink: .
So much for this saturday. The story of the build isn't in sync with the reallity yet, so to be continued soon.
skoleskibe

Post by skoleskibe »

Looks quite interresting. looking forward to hear about the variator bits n bobs
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Great Report THANKS
Rhynri

Post by Rhynri »

This is fantastic! Your fabrication skills are really to be envied, not to mention the not small amount of ingenuity and engineering displayed by anyone building one of these conversions.
espe

Post by espe »

Thanks to you all for the kind and motivating comments.So let me tell you some more...

For me the hardest part of this build is the fact that you have to do a lot of things twice or more. Placing the engine
for instance. I lost count of how many times I have lifted the engine in and out of the frame. Now I know how the Teutels
from OC Choppers got those big arms! 8) But I guess its my own fault. I chose the methode of creating things and solutions
as i go along. And although you see results faster this way,the total building time takes a lot longer.
As I told earlier, I've recieved a wonderfull present namely a girder frontfork. The thing looks lean, but in fact weighs
a ton!(USA quality). No wonder Harleys are such slow accellerators with all those extra kilo's! :mrgreen: I will have to make the
rest of the motorcycle parts out of aluminum just to counterbalance for the Girder. The girder didn't quite fit on the russian frame
so in order to get it mounted i had to make a steering pen (I am convinced that this name is not correct)which would fit in the
7/8 thread of the bottom plate, and adept it for the top-bearing holder fitted with metric 24 fine thread. Apart from this problem
there was a large difference in the space between the top and bottom plate of the girder as opposed to the ?headset?.
So i started with a beer in order to become brave enough to face the lathe...
A lot of curses and wasted materials later I ended up with this:
Now first the pen had to be screwed into the bottom plate:
Next the spacing bush and bottom bearing holder was tapped into place:
Later on it became apparent that it had the wrong hight, so I had to make another:
Then the assembly was mounted in the headset and fixed and adjusted by means of the metric top-bearingholder.
After that the top plate went on, sliding over most part of the top bearingholder and fixating it with a screw.
All that remained now was figuring out where al the other bushes and bars had to be located. No easy task let me
tell you! But after a couple attemps victory!! :D
I am really glad I have this problem sorted now, and I am ready for the next.
Peter the blacksmith
Been here a while now..

Post by Peter the blacksmith »

Well, what happened then ? :shock:
The early bird will get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese