Bike camping

For all topics relating to Diesel motorcycles.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Bike camping

Post by coachgeo »

This link was posted for different purpose in another thread.. felt it deserved its own thread for those who do the camp thing like say..... the big Knock etc.

http://www.motocampers.com/forums/index.php
XLerate

Re: Bike camping

Post by XLerate »

Yes, sir, some well seasoned & experienced advice over there! Just the thing for those with a vagabond spirit, like myself, who look at every horizon as a beckoning call...

In the big picture the only limits to one's journies are in the imagination. Open that wide and the whole world stands waiting. Maybe see you there, wherever it is?
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Biggest problems I've overcome down the years are with milk. & coffee.
I buy Marvel powered milk which I find superior to the other chemical crap out there (as long as you mix it up cold). Most milk on the continent is UHT & I can't drink that much.

I've tried instant coffee & these little expresso kettles but have settled on Lyons breakfast coffee bags (like Tea bags). Let 'em brew for 6-8 minutes and they are superior & convienient.
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
XLerate

Post by XLerate »

Yes, I quit drinking milk 30 years ago because of all the toxic additives, growth hormones, anti-biotics etc.

For coffee 'No' won't do, neither will 'Instant'. I have a #6 Melitta drip cone that fits nicely on top of a stainless steel teapot, about 1 litre, plus a 2 litre stainless saucepan. I use a Turkish grind Celebes Kolossi or organic French Roast, occasionally an organic Mexican bean, nothing but the real thing! Handy because I can brew up anywhere that I can make a fire or else use my single burner propane or even my 3 bruner propane camp stove. Also good since you can easily reheat in the stainless tea pot.

I'm also a tea-holic, GOTTA HAVE IT! The same Melitta cone will do for brewing up loose tea, or for filtering tea bags, whichever.

I also like to pop a loose whole coffee bean in the mouth to play with as I'm tooling down the road.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

I see some nice little camping stoves you guys use Stateside but in Europe it's frowned upon a bit more lighting fires like that.

I always carry a plastic pad to go under the side stand as the bike will sink in mud.
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
gearhead1951

Post by gearhead1951 »

go to www.instructables.com and check out the home made camping stoves made from soda cans !!
johnr
I'm pretty new here..

Post by johnr »

or just look up penny stoves on youtube,
gearhead1951

Post by gearhead1951 »

But with a sharp knife and a thumbtack you can create one of the instructables campstoves out of two soda (or beer) cans on the spot !!
Stuart
Site Admin

Bike camping

Post by Stuart »

Someone told me about a diesel powered cooker today - unfortunately they are probably a bit big to carry on a bike.
But I'll post here just in case any enterprising member here can figure out how they work & make a smaller one! :-)
http://www.kurandamarine.co.uk/wallas-diesel-hobs