Hero concept diesel motorcycle surfaces

For all topics relating to Diesel motorcycles.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Stuart
Site Admin

Hero concept diesel motorcycle surfaces

Post by Stuart »

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/sli ... 590765.cms
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391187839.737901.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391187850.852375.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391187865.419087.jpg
[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391187874.919132.jpg[/
attachment]
Here's the complete text from the article:
Hero Diesel:

Hero MotoCorp, the world's largest two-wheeler maker by volume, unveiled a 150cc, diesel-powered concept motorcycle, which may potentially change the way two-wheeled vehicles are made in the country.
Codenamed 'RNT', the liquid-cooled, turbo-charged bike boasts of a two-wheel drive, similar to the four wheel drive on large SUVs.
'The wide, flat-loading surfaces, as well as multi-use folding side racks, a large comfortable seat and spacious footboards are novelties never seen on a motorcycle before,' Hero MotoCorp MD & CEO Pawan Munjal after unveiling the concept model in the capital.
'Under the surface, there is just as much that is new, exciting and practical. It comes with a high torque 150cc diesel engine with an optional turbocharger.'
Another feature of the RNT is a hub electric motor on the front wheel, which is powered by an electric battery pack to give the rider a unique two wheel drive option for off road and slushy road conditions.
The bike also allows the rider to shut off the rear drive and move on electric power front wheel-drive in towns and cities.
RNT sports great fuel efficiency and would come with various features including two-wheel drive, he added.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391187874.919132.jpg
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
Tamber
Been here a while now..

Re: Hero concept diesel motorcycle surfaces

Post by Tamber »

Certainly an interesting looking bike. Looks very sci-fi. :) And it sounds almost vaguely practical. :P
Dreaming a dream, and scheming a scheme, of a diesel trike.
Eddy Wane
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by Eddy Wane »

Weird looking and more scooter looking than a traditional motorcycle shape. I have been watching Hero for a couple of years after they announced that they were to make a 400cc diesel. It looks as if that machine has been shelved. The final design (if one ever appears) will get the thumbs up if only for the fact it will be a diesel powered bike.
Building the bike. Top of my list, bottom of the wife's.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Here's more text & facts from another Indian blog.
What’s New?
The Hero RNT diesel bike concept will be the country’s first 150cc diesel scooter. It is still in the conceptual stages and the same will hit production in 2015. Talking about the motor, it is a 150cc liquid-cooled 4-stroke engine that comes with direct injection technology with the turbocharger being an option too. The motor has a power output of 13.5 BHP @ 4,000 RPM with the peak torque figure being a humongous 35 NM and it comes in at just 1,600 RPM. The scooter will do the 0-60 km/hour dash in 5 seconds before maxing out at 70 kmph. The concept vehicle was 2029 mm long, 739 mm in width and had the height stand at 1077 mm. The bike tips the scales at 136 kgs and Hero has done well to keep the weight down seeing the fact that it is a diesel motor.
Styling wise, Hero has deigned it as a rugged bike which can take a lot of luggage, the motor certainly can handle a lot of weight. The flat floor, luggage carriers at the front and rear clearly show it’s intent. The bike will also feature straps around so that users can tie luggage racks as per their needs. This could be very popular with small businesses in the country, who have been reliant on mopeds for transporting goods till now. This could also translate into a drag bike, after proper modifications!

But this is not where it all stops. Hero has another surprise up its sleeve. The scooter can also be a 2-wheel drive bike, the RNT gets an optional hub electric motor with an electric battery pack that will be powering the front wheel. The company is just not stopping and you can also opt for a generator motor which can provide electric backup at remote places, say for powering tools or using it to operate lights etc. Royal Enfield once tried creating a market by launching a diesel propelled cruiser but could not really make a mark. Will the world’s largest two wheeler manufacturer create a niche market for itself with the RNT scooter? Only time will tell.
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

I will believe it when I see it. Shame it looks so odd...
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

And many thought a Turbo on a single impossible. How have they done it?
It looks practical for the market it's aimed at. But yes, more Moped than Motorcycle I think. Looks like the front section/rack could be detached to improve its looks.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Stuart wrote:And many thought a Turbo on a single impossible. How have they done it?
It looks practical for the market it's aimed at. But yes, more Moped than Motorcycle I think. Looks like the front section/rack could be detached to improve its looks.
They either have developed their own turbo, or gone another route, electric turbo? Supercharger maybe?
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

I find the stats hard to believe. 13.5hp from 150cc. If that is true it would completly alter the small generator market.
That engine if true could produce 8-9kva, that would make all petrol generators redundant overnight.
Sam
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

I think the designer was off that day and they used the local infant school to design it lol.
It would have to be redesigned to sell although India is a huge market so it probably won't be exported.
old clunker

Post by old clunker »

The 1970's are back again! It reminds me somehow of 1970's concept bikes. Maybe the bike designers have been going through back catalogues of old bike magazines for design inspiration? :wink:
At least it's a bit of a break from basically producing Honda "knock off" clones! :P

The performance figures are also amazing to behold?! Let's hope it holds true in the 'real world' of biking......
There's nothing like the smell of burnt vegetable oil in the morning!!

1971 Royal Enfield diesel running on diesel/biofuel.
Eddy Wane

Post by Eddy Wane »

When are they bringing out a seven seater?
gearhead1951

Post by gearhead1951 »

Electric powered makes it a supercharger not turbo and they have been aruond a while , good for short bursts but not for continous boost !
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

Didn't see anywhere it said it was an electric turbocharger?? It is a hybrid with electric powered front wheel :)
gearhead1951

Post by gearhead1951 »

alexanderfoti wrote:
Stuart wrote:And many thought a Turbo on a single impossible. How have they done it?
They either have developed their own turbo, or gone another route, electric turbo? Supercharger maybe?
This is what I was reffering to !!
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

Ah ok I thought you meant in the specs :D
As someone who has had a Shorrocks supercharger fitted to a mini in the dim and distant past I agree :)
BertTrack

Post by BertTrack »

They could do it, if they incorporated a tesla compressor and pump pack plus water injection in the exhaust. But.... nah
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

albertaphil

Post by albertaphil »

I may have been missing some sarcasm here, but does anyone else find it intriguing that Hero says they can get 13.5 horsepower out of 150 cc's at only 4000rpm? That would be about right for a petrol engine at twice the rpm wouldn't it? Hmmm...
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

As i said 10 posts back, this is more fantasy than concept, even the picture of the bike is showing a petrol engine.
Sam
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Yes, they'll have to go some to achieve that performance.
Probably just an exercise to gauge the impact of the announcement? Something that doubles as a generator could be useful in the third world. But to get anything like those figures we're talking higher pressures on the fuel side & the people who buy these may wanna run them on old cooking oil?
Eddy Wane

Post by Eddy Wane »

This bike is supposedly being launched in India in April 2015. The expected price is 60000 R's to 85000 R's. It seems very cheap when 10000 R's is £107. But the Hero site has no information on it to confirm the launch.
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

They must mean 13.5hp combined of the engine and motor.

To get 13.5hp out of a single cylinder 150cc turbo diesel without revving to unrealistic RPMs, they would need at least of 20psi boost at 4800rpm with an effective intercooler.
But, seeing as its India and emissions aren't a high concern, they could get away with 15psi while running rich.
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

April will be on us before we know it so keep your eyes peeled for info everyone :-)