Greetings from Massachusetts, USA

Where members can post their photos, interests, and other personal information.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Sporticus
I don't post much...

Post by Sporticus »

Thank you for accepting me onto this forum. I've been searching the forum and have been unable to find what I'm looking for - a reasonably detailed photo of an inline four cylinder automobile engine mounted transversely in a motorcycle frame. I don't want to build something practical; I've have this dream (in its beginning stages) of setting a new land speed record on vegetable oil.

I'm going back and forth on transmission ideas. I could cut up a Harley shovelhead frame and use a Baker 6-into-4 transmission, though I may have to win the lottery first. Second idea would be to keep the (front wheel drive) engine and transmission together, and disable one of the half-shafts while anchoring the other in a stationary bearing and welding a sprocket to that, realizing that some sort of jack shaft may be necessary to line up the sprockets.

I'm thinking of a mechanically injected 1.6 or 1.9 liter VW turbodiesel. They are common and (comparably) inexpensive.

No one around me, my wife especially, is interested in discussing ideas with me. I hope to find a more receptive audience here.

Scott
Stuart
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from Massachusetts, USA

Post by Stuart »

Hi Scott and welcome :)
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
pietenpol2002
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by pietenpol2002 »

There's always Robbie's transverse NSU. Perhaps a far cry from your planned diesel, but it does provide an example of utilizing a jackshaft.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Sgni ... 0_1662.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ek-92tTZDUE/T ... 0_1649.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GSG2vjnECx0/T ... 0_1647.jpg

You can join the build (one of 2 I believe) somewhere here in the midst of his blog.
http://fumesngears.blogspot.com/2010/11/nsu-update.html
Ron
gearhead1951

Post by gearhead1951 »

I got the clip from this site....
here it is , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFyPyA5vVSc
Sporticus
I don't post much...

Post by Sporticus »

Thank you for that YouTube link. That engine was mounted lengthwise using some type of shaft setup.

Can anyone tell me with this will (or won't work)? Mount the engine in the frame as it would be mounted in a front wheel drive car (longitudinally) with the transmission attached (either auto or manual). Disable one the half shafts and mount the end of the other in a pillow block bearing so that it is perfectly parallel to the ground. Attach chain to half shaft, and then to some jackshaft arrangement because the engine/transmission will be so wide. Run drive chain to rear wheel. This way I can avoid an expensive transmission that may not be idea for the torque the diesel puts out.

Should I be posting this outside the "member introductions" forum? Thanks for any and all advice.

Scott
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Sporticus wrote:....

Should I be posting this outside the "member introductions" forum? Thanks for any and all advice.

Scott
not a bad idea. thumb thru the forum headings and find a sub forum that fits a questions best. Assuming you've searched first. Once you really get going then start a build thread.
gearhead1951

Post by gearhead1951 »

Sporticus wrote:Thank you for that YouTube link. That engine was mounted lengthwise using some type of shaft setup.

Can anyone tell me with this will (or won't work)? Mount the engine in the frame as it would be mounted in a front wheel drive car (longitudinally) with the transmission attached (either auto or manual). Disable one the half shafts and mount the end of the other in a pillow block bearing so that it is perfectly parallel to the ground. Attach chain to half shaft, and then to some jackshaft arrangement because the engine/transmission will be so wide. Run drive chain to rear wheel. This way I can avoid an expensive transmission that may not be idea for the torque the diesel puts out.

Scott
This is from a post I made at the chopper compendium on the "trike building" thread , it will work for a two wheeler as well if you spool the diff and use one side to attach the rear drive sprocket to ! I would recommend outrigger bearings on all 4 sprocket ends !

If you have the complete engine/drive train package from a fwd car you could trike it in a different way by separating the trans from the engine complete with the fly wheel , as you create the frame build a plate to bolt the trans to that incorporates a shaft and bearing the carry the fly wheel and clutch on the one side and a sprocket on the other !

Set the engine in place across the frame . with the engine directly in front of the trans and placed as far forward as you wish you then need a jackshaft to connect the engine to the trans !

To clarify , the trans is moved from the end of the crank to a new position behind the engine with the fly wheel and clutch attached and the fly wheel end now at the timing end of the engine !

Chain drive from the crank to a jack shaft and also from the jack shaft to the trans input shaft !

You can separate the engine and transaxle as far as you wish and use the original irs if you choose but you WILL have to adjust the length of the half shafts (really not that difficult)

If any one has questions I will happily reply !

Bob (Gearhead) King "Ignorance is curable with education , Stupidity is terminal "!gearhead1951