Getting sidetracked from diesel bikes!

Talk about anything unrelated to Diesel Motorcycles - hard as that may be..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

old clunker
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Getting sidetracked from diesel bikes!

Post by old clunker »

What if anything has sidetracked you from diesel bikes recently?!

I've been away from here for a while, being sidetracked for the last five months by my Mobylette project. I picked it up as a non runner, and a bit of a 'rolling wreck' for £150, from a damp back garden in Eastbourne. The poor thing looked liked it needed rescuing! And was mainly complete, but very neglected looking. This AV89 model is quite rare in the UK, and worth the effort to get running again.
The reason why I've got a soft spot for mobys, was it was the first powered bike I rode over 33 years ago in Spain, and it had an unrestricted 50cc engine, and was quick for a moped, even though it's fully automatic!
Ideal for riding in London traffic, and can squeeze in spaces in traffic where push bikes can go!
After many 'struggles' in a freezing cold garage from the beginning of this year, (seems like a distant memory now at the moment, with the hot summer we've had!) it's back on the road after a 20 year off road, and stored in back yards absence.
AV89 moby 1.jpg
The 43 year old moped still just about goes! and is a design from 1960 which continued on until the late '70's, as it was very popular. Motobecane closed down production finally in the 1980's after producing around 8 million bikes, so I've read! It seems only the Honda Cub was built in greater numbers. Despite all that, I appear to be the only one regularly riding a moby in London!

And continuing on with the fuel consumption discussion - even with a leaking and worn carb for a while, and an automatic variator/clutch system, it did over 70 mpg. With the carb fixed, it can easily do 100-110 mpg from a 50 year old 2 stroke engine design! I wonder if there's real progress in engine design over the years, concerning fuel efficiency?

The down side of it all, is that I've neglected my diesel motorbike a bit! and have ridden it only a few times so far this year. Must give "Old Clunkie" a bit more attention soon.....
I promise to spend more time concerning diesel bikes now! :P
There's nothing like the smell of burnt vegetable oil in the morning!!

1971 Royal Enfield diesel running on diesel/biofuel.
Stuart
Site Admin

Re: Getting sidetracked from diesel bikes!

Post by Stuart »

I too have found my Honda NC700s something of a distraction but I've already stated about that :-) Good MPG from any motorcycle is worth looking at. Some people stick with certain brands but I like the latest, most efficient tech motorcycles. I like the forward thinking/planning aspect from the designers.
But not mopeds so much lol.
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Ohh that nc700 looks awesome! I would really love to test drive one with the auto manual box if that makes sense.

I couldn't as I was still on a restricted license :(
Curtis in Texas
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by Curtis in Texas »

Scooters are fun. Specially the old ones we had as kids!

I've been perusing Craigs list for a Used Lambretta like I rode to High School in the 60's.
I rode the snot out of it and only put gas in it once a week. I'm thinking it got about 80 mpg.

Sure was fun to ride wheelies on it. I'd pop up the front wheel until the rear bodywork dragged the ground. It would shoot sparks ll over the place. Eventually had to add a skid plate unter the rear fender because it was scraping all the bodywork off.

Would love to have another. I know my 150 would do 70 mph.
It only cost a little more to go first class,
You just can't stay as long...