Mercedes 2.2L on a Honda Goldwing?

On-going, finished, abandoned builds & questions galore..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Banzaibob
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Mercedes 2.2L on a Honda Goldwing?

Post by Banzaibob »

Has anyone ever tried to mate up a Mercedes 2.2L 4 cyl. diesel to an early Honda GL1000? A Goldwing has about 70 HP (at the most) with probably 60 ft./lbs of torque (at the most). The Mercedes 2.2 diesel engine minus the trans weighs probably 450 lbs, makes 60 hp and probably 100 ft/lbs of torque. I'm thinking about using the Goldwing clutch, transmission and final drive. I would probably have to stretch the frame at least 12 inches. Are there examples out there of those who have done such a thing? Am I asking for trouble? Does this sound too stupid to anyone? Should I stick to trolling other message boards? Discuss!
pietenpol2002

Re: Mercedes 2.2L on a Honda Goldwing?

Post by pietenpol2002 »

One of the challenges would be amputating the clutch/trans from the engine and mating it to the Mercedes. Additionally, it may require getting someone to cut new final drive gears ($$$$$) as that engine even at full cry is going go make for a slow top end.
Ron
Banzaibob

Post by Banzaibob »

Yes, the clutch/trans could be cut away and sealed therefore maintaining oil sealing integrity. The primary drive on a Goldwing is via a hy-vol chain driving two gears. Mating the engine output to the clutch/trans would require a different gear set for the hy-vol setup. On most gas powered bikes the primary drive ratio is between 4:1 and 2:1. Conversion to diesel power would require a primary ratio of around 1.5:1 in order to be able to attain highway speeds without over revving the engine.

My main concerns are if the drive components are up to the increased rotational force of the Benz diesel. Also......I would need an elegant solution for cramming a rather large engine, complete with radiator, into an area which is designed to have less than half of the dimensional and volumetric area. Having a 10 foot wheelbase is out of the question.

Picture is of a Goldwing crank and the drive chain.
Attachments
Image.gif
Image.gif (14.03 KiB) Viewed 16844 times
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

Can't help thinking that a large custom/chop frame would be the way to go along the lines of the "Boss Hoss"
If you had twin top rails spread out the engine could protrude up through them in to a dummy tank which could also house the electrics/header tank etc gold wing style.
The fuel could be under the seat.
Not sure about transmission maybe something along the lines of "the Sprocket" to save space or a transverse harley box and chain drive to the shaft drive??
Banzaibob

Post by Banzaibob »

The "Boss Hoss" setup does not appeal to me too much. Whatever the end result is I want the bike to be street-able. Having a single speed transmission means that it will be geared too tall for practical purposes, i.e.; parking lots, traffic jams, etc.

My idea for the build essentially is to cut the bike in two leaving the trans, fuel tank, final drive, etc. and leave it all loosely fitted to means test placement of the other components. From there I would basically build forward. I would have to first figure out a way to transfer power to the clutch via the hy-vol chain. I would then have to figure a way to mount the engine securely in the frame.

One of my biggest concerns is that the engine mounted longitudinally will simply make the bike too long. That is why I would like to know if anyone has tried mounting a Mercedes car motor in a bike. I sure would like to take a look at it.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

there are very few builds using car diesels for reasons you state. Tooo big. Our home site list about all the conversions we know of.

http://dieselbike.net/

Remember a diesel with about half the horsepower of a petrol will produce about some work. But you need to consider a bit more HP to compensate for the added weight of the diesel engine. So you might say a petrol bike with 150hp to get same performance (assuming appropriate gear ratios used) you'ld be fine with an 90hp? and up in a perfect world. Point is a car diesel engine is overkill anyway; except maybe a 3cyl diesel car like the MB Smart.

Below is recent one using MB diesel 4cyl but it's a big chopper and not what you appear to want. It's sort of a Steam Punk Chopper

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1756

more pictures near bottom of below page and pages later.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2456&start=30
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

Yeah I just mentioned the Boss Hoss as an example as the length height is going to be a real problem and possibly a large cruiser type bike would suit it better?
There have been examples of 4 cyl engines in Moto Guzzis etc.
I just thought the Gold Wing frame will be too low to allow the tall engine to be fitted without cutting away all the top rails/tubes although the larger bikes would be better from a running gear point of view.
Of course you could always cut off the centre sections and consider making the engine integral with the frame/chassis??
The triumph Rocket 3 would be the nearest but even that only has 3 cyls. and would probably be too expensive to get hold of.
What is the actual engine model/ type? I know you've said it's 2.2 or what car is it from?
Banzaibob

Post by Banzaibob »

The engine is a 2197cc from a 280D. I think I have concluded that it is simply too large and impractical for this bike. If I could find something that is half its size in displacement, weight and dimensions, I think that I could build a practical machine. One of the new 800cc Smart car engines appear to be ideal for what I am taking about. I don't think that they are within my budget at this time.

Anybody know of a stash of 1000cc or so diesel engines lying around mid-west somewhere?
gearhead1951

Post by gearhead1951 »

check out "mouse's" 1.9 VW diesel bike on this forum to see how it should be done !!
Banzaibob

Post by Banzaibob »

Insane....