Diesel Dave....... what is that??

Talk about anything unrelated to Diesel Motorcycles - hard as that may be..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Diesel Dave....... what is that??

Post by coachgeo »

saw it in your photobucket pics. Looks awesome. Petrol? Diesel? Check out the Elio. There is a thread with links in the General forum?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2567
gilburton

Re: Diesel Dave....... what is that??

Post by gilburton »

Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Ah as it will be my 50th birthday this year it's a present to myself.

It's a Berkeley T60 from 1960, complete with 318cc 2 stroke motor than drinks 16:1 Petroil mix, chain drive primary, 4 speed and reverse Albion gearbox and a chain drive differential to front wheel drive.

It's taken me 10 years to find one.

Also had to tow it back from Harleypool with the 602cc 2cv Van, but we made it:

Click on the pic for the vids

How to stall the thing regularly too:

coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

that is sweet
XLerate

Post by XLerate »

Well HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Dave! Congratulations on your find, rare indeed. I remember the little Berkeleys, an exciting little car in the handling department with a very large potential for good clean fun! Really a shame they didn't meet with more success but it seems there were just too many complicated factors not in their favor, nothing wrong with the design though. Many happy miles to you!
gearhead1951

Post by gearhead1951 »

Since those cars and others like it (morgan ect...) are collectables and damn pricey when you find them , Take a look at http://www.rqriley.com and http://www.blackjackzero.com for something just as interesting and a whole lot more affordable !!

And if yer gonna build one , why not make it a diesel ??
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

gearhead1951 wrote:Since those cars and others like it (morgan ect...) are collectables and damn pricey when you find them , Take a look at http://www.rqriley.com and http://www.blackjackzero.com for something just as interesting and a whole lot more affordable !!

And if yer gonna build one , why not make it a diesel ??
or buy the new version called a Elio made in Shreveport Louisiana USA for only 7 grand (due out in 2014) see eliomotors.com or on facebook
Unfortunately no diesel yet
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

Dave I used to have the same engine and gearbox that i fitted to a bond minicar. It went realy well then after a while it started missfireing. and it took a while to figure the problem. The engine has two sets of points at the end of the crankshaft. I checked these a few times with the first cylinder and all was correct, but the engine would run but would backfire and low power. It was only when I took the engine to bits I found the problem. There is a woodrurff key in the middle of the crank and this had sheared, so the engine cranks were not at 180deg. New key and all was OK.
Sam
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Hi Sam, I have heard of this, there is a 3 cylinder version used on the 4 wheeler that's infamous for shearing these keys.

It has electronic ignition but this gives 20 deg advance, whereas there was fixed timing on the points system so I'm looking into getting a custom made electronic box.

Ah the joys of petrol motors.
oldbmw

Post by oldbmw »

There was also a four wheeler that used an Enfield 700cc motorcycle twin engine (may have been a tad bigger, 736 or even 750)
Larry
XLerate

Post by XLerate »

That's one great machine there!

Before I was given my current project bike, a '96 KZ1000P-15 by a recently and sadly departed friend, I was given an '86 Dodge Omni FWD car by another friend. The earliest Dodge Omni's were available with a VW Diesel! My plan had been to fab up a tube chassis, yank the Omni drivetrain, build a little FWD 3 wheeler sports machine. Eventually planned to go VW diesel of course and was looking at 75+ MPG on diesel!

When the Kawi showed up plans changed, for a diesel sidecar build with that. Still, some day in the future I may build the 3 wheeler as something similar to your great new machine, but in diesel. I've got no shortage of insanity, just need more money.... :)
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

oldbmw wrote:There was also a four wheeler that used an Enfield 700cc motorcycle twin engine (may have been a tad bigger, 736 or even 750)
Quite right Larry, there were 4 wheelers with a 3 cylinder 2 stroke as well as the Enfield twin 4 strokes.

The Enfield powered cars were named the B95 and B105 supposedly after their top speeds...... it would take a braver man than me to push something the size of a roller skate to those speeds - remember there is no roll cage or even seat belts.
Dan J

Post by Dan J »

Good find Dave - am loving the sound of the engine!
1990 Honda NTV600 Revere