Ditch weight of your starter. Use Starter/Generator

For all topics relating to Diesel motorcycles.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Ditch weight of your starter. Use Starter/Generator

Post by coachgeo »

Not got full details but it appears small tractors, airplanes and some other rigs ditch the conventional alternator and starter route and go with just one thingamabobber that does both. It sits in same way an alternator would. but a stronger belt and brackets etc. When you apply power to it from Battery.... its a motor and via the belt.... turns over the engine. Ones power is removed..... as engine spins it (opposit direction?)... it generates power. You'll have to add a small "smart" battery charger so not to over charge battery or some other way to wire it. Have not searched that far

ORRRRRRR.... use it as an Alternator / REVERSE motor or..... front wheel drive assitance?. Do not mount it convetionally. Keep starter intact but, remove alternator from system. Mount this thingamabob in a manner that when power added it reverses the bike* (engine in neautral) or give power to front wheel?. When it is not juiced..... it as designed..... generates 12v.

http://alternatorparts.com/small_starte ... rators.htm

*this is what lead me to this thingamabober. Was searching for alternator/rev motor that was said to be on some older motorcycles.
coachgeo

Re: Ditch weight of your starter. Use Starter/Generator

Post by coachgeo »

3 common ways for wiring starter/generator ..... hope it's big enough jpg

found at http://recoveryvehicles.tpub.com/TM-5-4 ... 4P_200.htm
Attachments
TM-5-4240-501-14P_200_1.jpg
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

another wire diagram

TM 5-4240-5501-148P STARTERS Starter Generator 12V CHECKING 12 VOLT STARTER GENERATOR SYSTEMS The following tools and materials should be available. 1. Hydrometer 2. Battery cable and terminal cleaning tool 3. Hand tools for tightening belts and connections 4. Baking soda and water 5. Briggs & Stratton 19236 VOA meter or Eico Model 540 Readi-Tester. 6. 4 to 6 amp taper battery charger CHECKING BATTERY Check for clean, corrosion-free and tight connections. Hydrometer reading should be a minimum of 1.225 and each cell should read within less than .050 variation after charging. Battery must meet these conditions before conducting starter generator tests. Fig. 132 - wiring Diagram 41

http://recoveryvehicles.tpub.com/TM-5-4 ... 4P_201.htm
Attachments
TM-5-4240-501-14P_201_1.jpg
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

this concept starter/Generator is also used in hybrid systems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAS_Hybrid
oldbmw

Post by oldbmw »

I built a 20ft inshore fishing boat around 1970 in it I installed a 9.5hp Yanmar diesel . It was equipped with a dynastarter. connected to a large flywheel by two vee belts. Was a very good engine, although I usually started it by winding the handle :)
Larry
Rhynri

Post by Rhynri »

Great way to save weight coach, will most definately put that into consideration!
XLerate

Post by XLerate »

First combo starter/generator I saw was OEM on a 1918 Chrysler or Dodge Brothers whichever was the first line of Chrysler cars. Large open tourer, built like a tank and the owner who restored it said the starter/generator worked great.

To my dim reollection most motors become generators when the shaft is spun, don't recall if that's AC or DC or whatever.
Rhynri

Post by Rhynri »

XLerate wrote:To my dim reollection most motors become generators when the shaft is spun, don't recall if that's AC or DC or whatever.
That's always been my knowledge on the subject. I believe in a modern system you can get some solid-state in there to increase the efficiency, but it should be doable.
johnr
I'm pretty new here..

Post by johnr »

but they stopped using them because they werent reliable. too many bits to go wrong. essentially you have your sarter motor running all the time and that is going to have wear problems essentially. and wht advantage have you gained? you might save a few kilos of starter moror but fit it to an engine with an iron block and an already vast weight by comparison. it seems to me that this is just a level of complication for the sheer sake of it. id rather run a proprietary off the shelf starter and alternator and then if they break i can get spares anywhere and they wont cost a packet.
gearhead1951

Post by gearhead1951 »

the oldest example I'm aware of was OEM equipment on a 1908 Indian
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Hondas new PCX scooter has this system, allows for easier stop/start traffic light fuel saving setups, originally in the 50cc Zoomer scoot.

DynaStarts were common in the 60's on bubble cars as most used small motorcycle engines that didn't have electric starters in their bike fittment.

Diesel motors need a lot heavier starter to overcome the high compression though.
XLerate

Post by XLerate »

Diesel Dave wrote:Hondas new PCX scooter has this system, allows for easier stop/start traffic light fuel saving setups, originally in the 50cc Zoomer scoot.

DynaStarts were common in the 60's on bubble cars as most used small motorcycle engines that didn't have electric starters in their bike fittment.

Diesel motors need a lot heavier starter to overcome the high compression though.
Ouch, literally! When I converted my Dodge truck from 318 Polysphere to Cummins 4BTA it required the Cummins starter, almost twice as heavy as the '67 V8 starter. Then when installing, laying under the truck, something went wrong and it slipped and fell almost a foot to hit me in the forehead, dang near knocked me out! Swollen and bruised for a week.