Riding on Enfield with Yanmar L100

On-going, finished, abandoned builds & questions galore..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

henneberg
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Riding on Enfield with Yanmar L100

Post by henneberg »

Hi diesel bikers,

I have been considering building a diesel bike for a long time after reading many articles on the topic. I decided to go for an Enfield frame with a Yanmar L100 or a clone of this.

From Ebay.de I bought the donor bike, a Bullet 350 with first EU registration in 1980. The first registration date also need to be before 1987 to get it approved later on due to restrictions on diesel smoke and exhaust noise.

The Yanmar L100 diesel engine has a quite heavy fly wheel on the right side and are wider than the Enfield petrol engine.

A few builds on the internet uses the original gearbox mainshaft but in that case, the diesel engine is placed far to the right side.

I prefer to have the diesel engine in balance ( "engine gravity vertical center line to align the bikes frame" ) and placed the engine center line approx. 12 mm left to the bikes frame. Thus the gearbox mainshaft must be swapped to a longer one. The clutch push rod inside the mainshaft needs an extension according to the longer mainshaft chosen.

The original mainshaft is 11 inch long, and diesel mainshaft are available in 2 lengths, 12 3/8 & 13 1/8 inch.
Original and diesel gearbox mainshafts
Original and diesel gearbox mainshafts
I got the 13 1/8 inch version but had to cut down to 12 3/4 inch. An Enfield Taurus inner primary chain case is needed as well, because it includes a bearing to support the longer mainshaft. I bought the mainshaft, primary case and bearing from priceparts.co.uk :
Original and modified inner primary chain case
Original and modified inner primary chain case
A spacer between the engine and the Taurus chain case is needed, approx. 8 mm thick with 12 1/2 inch mainshaft and approx. 24 mm with the 13 1/4 inch mainshaft.:
Spacer.jpg
To have an adequate clearence between the secondary sprocket and the Yanmar throttle cabling, I kept the original 16 teeth 350 Bullet sprocket.

The Yanmar engine tops out at 3600 rpm, and with a primary engine sprocket of 30 teeth the bike should top at 97 kmh. The distance between the engine output shaft and the gearbox mainshaft adds 5 mm, compared to the original distance, in total a 94 pitch primary chain is required.
Primary drive 1.jpg
The process of making the engine support frame is a kind of stepwise designing and welding from the gearplate to the front. The gearplate is made of 6 mm steel plate, the bottom under engine frame are steel tubes of 30x15 mm with 2 mm walls. The gearbox plate includes a fuel stop arm arrangement. The frame front part is made of 30x8 mm steel.
Engine frame and fuel stop parts. The fuel stop lever pulls back the fuel control lever.
Engine frame and fuel stop parts. The fuel stop lever pulls back the fuel control lever.
The original Yanmar throttle controlplate was changed:
The engine speed ( fuel amount ) is controlled by an internal centrifugal  fuel regulator. The centrifugal  fuel regulator uses an external counterforce in terms of an applied spring force. The larger, yellow spring sets the applied force on the fuel regulator, more spring force is higher rev. at max. load. From the engine manual, I used the 3-B setting, inner hole on the top lever ( picture shows outer hole setting ) and second hole on the bottom lever.
The engine speed ( fuel amount ) is controlled by an internal centrifugal fuel regulator. The centrifugal fuel regulator uses an external counterforce in terms of an applied spring force. The larger, yellow spring sets the applied force on the fuel regulator, more spring force is higher rev. at max. load. From the engine manual, I used the 3-B setting, inner hole on the top lever ( picture shows outer hole setting ) and second hole on the bottom lever.
Yanmar fuel control plate mod.png (216.25 KiB) Viewed 20138 times
And a throttle cable and adjust plate was made:
Throtle cable , max. rev. screw ( at no load ) and idle speed screw
Throtle cable , max. rev. screw ( at no load ) and idle speed screw
Engine in frame, ready for riding
Engine in frame, ready for riding
Last edited by henneberg on Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 22 times in total.
---------------
Enfield Ruggerini MD151 654cc build - running: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4UsIn5QLxk
boutje

Re: Riding on Enfield with china engine

Post by boutje »

Nice project.

This how i setup the throttle of the yanmar clone.
http://youtu.be/5Fb-gypBFCY
henneberg

Post by henneberg »

Thanx for the nice video, it provides ideas, because I need to redo the throttle control. The size of the 19 teeth chain sprocket dont leave space for the cable run on the left side of gearbox plate. :!:
---------------
Enfield Ruggerini MD151 654cc build - running: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4UsIn5QLxk
boutje

Post by boutje »

When you need more information about the throttle linkage systeem ask me.
I can make more detailed photos.
henneberg

Re: Riding on Enfield with Yanmar L100

Post by henneberg »

Hi,

For my Enfield Yanmar L100 diesel bobber project, I have made some small changes :arrow:

The battery is moved to the empty space behind the gearbox, the two side boxes are removed, and the brake light switch is now a Dnepr-Ural type :) :
Battery braces to hold the battery behind the gearbox
Battery braces to hold the battery behind the gearbox
Top and bottom view of the battery in its new place
Top and bottom view of the battery in its new place
Ural brake light switch using M8x1.0 thread
Ural brake light switch using M8x1.0 thread
Finally got rid of the missing battery charging. I found an original NOS 1992 "Dynamo assy" 12V / 15A Yanmar sparepart no. 114351-78290.

With the original Yanmar "Dynamo assy" and the Yamaha XTZ 600, 34L regulator I am using, it starts charging the battery at 1500 rpm with all lights on. :)
Last edited by henneberg on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
---------------
old clunker

Post by old clunker »

Keep up the good work Erik, and let us know how you're getting on! I'm sure that it will all come together well in the end.
There's nothing like the smell of burnt vegetable oil in the morning!!

1971 Royal Enfield diesel running on diesel/biofuel.
arnaud

Post by arnaud »

Got the link form your last post, but do not understand why it adds 5mm more between primary sprocket and clutch..
Mine(original gearbox shaft-) did not.. it was not possible since this distance is dictated by the inner primary..?
henneberg

Post by henneberg »

Needed to use the longer gearbox main shaft to place the engine more to the left to get a better balance in the frame.
---------------
arnaud

Post by arnaud »

Hey, how dis you shorten the longer gearbox mainshaft? Both ends are needed..
i plan to re-build my enfield to diesel and am eager to learn and place the engine -this time- in the centre of the frame..
henneberg

Post by henneberg »

It was shorten in a rather simple way using a Dremel rotary tool and a lot of patience :oops:

An old piece of a clutch to hold the shaft while making a M12 thread for the clutch nut !

If I should do the Yanmar Enfield conversion today, I would buy the shaft version from Jochen Sommer that is extended with 40 mm compared the original Enfield shaft.
---------------
arnaud

Post by arnaud »

..Hmm is that an cut-and-weldes shaft? i wonder how strong that is..
Do you think it is plug & play with one of the adaptors?