Adding starter motor

Wiring, Switches, Alternators, Regulators, etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Adding starter motor

Post by alexanderfoti »

Hi all

Just wondering, any body know how hard it would be to add an electric starter to a Changfa 170?

Cheers all!
Dan J
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Adding starter motor

Post by Dan J »

If it's anything like the 186 then it's pretty easy.

As you look at the engine from the output (not flywheel) side, at the 10am position at the back where the flywheel is, you should have a circular blanking plate. Undo the two bolts and remove this and check the flywheel has teeth cut into it. It should have - these engines are all pattern parts and the factories don't churn out different flywheels etc for non-starter variants.

All being well, buy yourself a starter off eBay (or wherever). I got mine from these guys...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Starter-Motor-fit ... 3366d50a05

This sounds like also the right one for your engine buy don't take my word for it :!:

The original bolts I had holding my blanking plate were not long enough to accommodate the starter and I pulled a mill or two of thread out of the engine on one side so beware that you'll probably need slightly longer bolts. Also beware that if the bolts are too long they'll then foul the flywheel :!: Check once you've fitted that the engine will spin freely.

The starter motor helpfully has a solenoid built it. You therefore need to put some suitable high current cable from the motor terminal directly to the positive of the battery. Negative returns through the engine/metalwork so make sure whatever you currently have in place from the engine/frame back to the battery is of a similar capacity.

You then simply need a switchable (starter motor button or similar) 12v low current feed that (preferably) only operates when you have the bike electrics switched on to the solenoid terminal on the starter.

Hope that helps.

Dan

[EDIT] - the starter isn't particularly light. And also I had to upgrade my battery to accommodate turning the engine over - I'd be nervous about adding this weight to an engine only producing 5 odd ponies
1990 Honda NTV600 Revere
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Re: Adding starter motor

Post by alexanderfoti »

Awsome! cheers

I havent got the bike yet, planning to get it on the 31st hopefuly :)

I will have a gander when I get it, thanks :)