SOLD

Bike and Parts, For Sale, Wanted, and For Trade.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Diesel Graham
Been here a while now..

SOLD

Post by Diesel Graham »

I should really sell this as its not getting the use it deserves, what is it worth?
2006 indian built bike on a 1966 model G frame. (tax free)
Cotton Greaves GL400 engine, kickstart only.
5 speed box.
Mileage roughly 15000km.
All running well, no faults but chrome is showing its age. Top speed 55mph, 110mpg.
One key fits all: toolboxes, topbox (removeable) and ignition (which does stop the engine).
Mouse (on this forum) took this on a 2000 mile journey through europe last year with no failures at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5px41mekL-E

I'd like £2000 for it which I think is realistic but will do this years rally on it if no takers.
Last edited by Diesel Graham on Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enfield Taurus Greaves - running well now!
Lohmann 18cc - undergoing restoration
pgs
I don't post much...

Re: 2006 Enfield Diesel, whats it worth?

Post by pgs »

Hi GRAHAM
I am intrested in buying your bike. Would it be possible to give me a ring on 01132037526 evenings between 18.30/21.00 are best for me. Thanks PETE
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Is this still available. Its a great looking bike!
Diesel Graham
Been here a while now..

Post by Diesel Graham »

Hi, the bike is still available, just waiting for the right buyer. It seems most people want to build their own these days.
Dan J
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by Dan J »

'Tis a very smart and eye catching bike. A bargain at that price as well - I can't believe you've had no interest so far Graham.
1990 Honda NTV600 Revere
Diesel Graham
Been here a while now..

Post by Diesel Graham »

To be honest I'm not trying hard to sell it. I would rather it went to an enthusiast which is why it has only been offered on here.
Also, like many of my ex-bikes I love it and dont want to see it go but you have to move on and I have other interests now which take time, space and money.
If it doesnt sell I dont mind, you always lose money on vehicles, but that money is technically not lost until the vehicle is sold. And I do still use it sometimes.
bernhard
I don't post much...

Re: Royal Enfield / Greaves GL400 engine

Post by bernhard »

Diesel Graham wrote:I should .....
2006 indian built bike on a 1966 model G frame. (tax free)
Cotton Greaves GL400 engine, kickstart only.
5 speed box.
Mileage roughly 15000km.
All running well, no faults but chrome is showing its age. Top speed 55mph, 110mpg.....
Hi Graham,
being enthusiastic but pretty new and naive in the field of Diesel bikes I am lost. Could you please help me?
I love the Diesel bike idea and, sure enough, I got myself a Royal Enfield Diesel. It appears to be nearly identical to your former bike described in this tread:
The frame is a 1967 Royal Enfield, new Greaves GL400 engine with a kick starter. It came without documentation and I have problems to get the thing going. Could you please describe the starting procedure to stupid me? Could it be that despite being a direct injection diesel with a kick starter it still might need the battery? None is connected as I needed to order one which has not arrived yet. In addition there is another electrical issue: the 4 wires coming out of the engine are lose. The counter wires from the frame have all different non-matching coulors :roll: and it is not clear what belongs to what, see pic.
IMG_0225a.jpg
Do you still have a wiring diagram or an idea how I could get one and hopefully a complete owner manual? I need to start from the beginning as I have even no clue what this small lever on the gear box does. Actually, what is it for?
IMG_0227a.jpg
Thanks in advance
Best, Bernhard
Diesel Graham
Been here a while now..

Re: SOLD

Post by Diesel Graham »

Dear Bernhard,

as far as I know there is no wiring diagram. The engine and bike were never designed to be together. The wires from the engine to the regulator caused me trouble but if you measure the voltage with the engine running you will find you get about 15 volts on 2 pairs of wires. You need to link these in a way which gives you around 30 volts then this goes to the regulator. If you are near to me in gloucestershire I would be happy to show you this or to do it for you.
The lever on the gearbox is for finding neutral, my bike did not have this and I think you dont really need it.
You do not need any wires or even a battery to start this bike, all you need is fuel.

As for starting, the easy way is this:
1) push the kickstart until it will go no further (engine compression)
2) raise the decompressor lever on the top of the engine
3) push the kickstart very slowly until the decompression lever drops down then stop as soon as it does! (if you go too far repeat from step 1)
4) lastly, kick the starter with as much strength as you can, do not stop towards the bottom, dont worry, you will not break it but your kick should be so hard like you are trying to break it!
penybryn
Been here a while now..

Re: sold, please delete.

Post by penybryn »

An owner's manual for a later model which may help can be found here:
http://sites.google.com/site/alokbalsek ... -s-manuals
It is in .rar format so you will need some software (easily found on the internet) to unpack it.

I don't know this model very well. Some small diesel engines use an electrical run/stop system but I do not think that the Enfield uses this system. The wiring diagram in the manual does not show any connections to the engine except for the generator. If you look around the fuel system of the engine, you should be able to confirm for yourself if there are any electrical cables attached. The article by Real Classics below says that the engine can be started with ignition off.
http://www.realclassic.co.uk/diesel05112800.html

The small lever on the gearbox is a neutral finder. No matter what gear you are in, pushing this lever will select neutral.

I can't help with the electrics, sorry.
bernhard
I don't post much...

Post by bernhard »

Dear Graham, dear penybryn,
Great community you have here! Thanks very much for the quick reply and practical advice. I found the user manual in the link penybryn provided and, YESSS, there is a wiring diagram. I will try to fix it and kick it to life this week, getting really excited about it. Will report back what happend......
Best
Bernhard
bernhard
I don't post much...

Post by bernhard »

Dear Graham, dear penybryn,
After your input made clear that the electrics had nothing to do with it I gave it another try this afternoon following your instructions. The first 10 times nothing spectacular happened and I was already wondering what else could be wrong. At the eleventh kick it suddenly sprang to life. I heard for the first time the sound of the Greaves GL400 Direct Injection Diesel. Took it around the block, what a feeling, what a sound! This puts every Harley in its place!
Thanks very much for educating me, happily joining your great hobby.
Best
Bernhard
penybryn
Been here a while now..

Post by penybryn »

Well done Bernhard - I am glad to hear that your mighty beast is running! My own Enfield/Yanmar-clone restoration and build is progressing slowly but I try to do a little every day even if it is just a few minutes of rubbing down paintwork. I hope to hear mine running this summer.
Best wishes,
Richard
bernhard
I don't post much...

Post by bernhard »

Dear Richard,
keep on going, the feeling when you are there will be rewarding for all hassel. Thanks to your link to the wiring diagram I was able to sort also out the lose wiring problem today. Now all the electric stuff including the head beam works and I will go tomorrow to the RDW (Dutch vehicle authorities) to get it registered. I hope everything goes smoothly and I can be on the road soon. Without the help from you and Graham I would have been stuck, thanks very much again. Wish you a speedy progress and final success with your project.
Bernhard