all the transmission options

Dedicated to the CVT...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

gilburton
I luv the smell of Diesel...

all the transmission options

Post by gilburton »

could it be possible for someone to get all the info together re cvt/torq-a-verter/gearbox etc and let us know how they are performing in the real world?? eg wear/breakages etc(no theories) and what each unit has been fitted to? I presume that most single cyl. engines would put out around 8-10hp so what units/kits have you used eg 20/30/40 or 500 series.I know the 500 series would be best but would a smaller unit do if you were prepared to replace items sooner or carry a spare belt?This would save a lot of searching and repeated replies to posts.How about a new forum section mod? ps would I have any problem fitting a 1" bore unit to my 25mm Robin shaft? :wink:
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Shaft Size

Post by Diesel Dave »

Hi,

As the Comet clutch bore is 1" or 25.4mm and your shaft is 25mm you will have too much play available.

It may be possible to add some shimstock between the two parts, it's sold by engineering supply companies to take up the play, some 0.2mm wrapped around the shaft would be right but it will be a pain to fit.

Regards
Dave
gilburton
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by gilburton »

:oops: I've just borrowed some better calipers and took a measurement nearer the base of the shaft and at various points along its length and it would appear to be 1" after all! I can't find any reference to the shaft dia on any website info except the US one which says 1" so I presume this is correct and is probably the industry standard despite it being a japanese engine.The bit I originally measured was probably a bit worn so I will probably be ok re a comet unit or sprockets in general :wink: Now! on with the search for a donor bike/frame,might even make the rally next year??? :roll: