Centre Stand Modification

Bodywork, Engine Mounting, Frames, Sub Frames, Forks, Suspension etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Stuart
Site Admin

Centre Stand Modification

Post by Stuart » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:12 pm

Given that I've lowered my Smart Tiger 40mm at the back and 20mm at the front, I now find the centre stand hits the ground way too early. Of course, I now have to lift the bike a lot higher and this was killing my back so I had to do something about it :D

It had been suggested that I chop bits from the stand but there's no going back if I took that route and I always like to have the option to go back, just in case :!:

So......I applied a little of Archimedes know how and went for the leaverage option instead. It works a treat - with a longer, extendable & twist lockable foot bar I can roll the bike onto the stand much easier and not risk giving myself a hernia problem in the process :lol:
Attachments
grind.jpeg
Getting stuck in there...
blade.jpeg
3 junior hacksaw blades stuck together cut me the pin notch about right. Jeez, it's cold on a garage floor in the winter!
drill.jpeg
Ready for action.
busted.jpeg
Used a magnet to remove a busted drill.
drill_hole.jpeg
It didn't need to be this long to start with :-)
top_hole.JPG
The top hole was a bugger to drill!
image.jpeg
Pin lock and extra locking hole for R clip (should I need it).
pinhole.jpeg
Drilling the locking pin hole
rod.jpeg
the rod cut to length
in_position.JPG
in position
fitted.JPG
Finished.

coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Centre Stand Modification

Post by coachgeo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:11 pm

Now that is one way to do it. Another option for the "go back" kinda guy is to cut out a chunk but THREAD the remainder with pipe thread or similar. This way you can screw coupler of some sort at the orginal cut to return it to OEM length.... guess that would even make it adjustable in length.

Stuart
Site Admin

Re: Centre Stand Modification

Post by Stuart » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:59 am

I thought about a thread to join the sections because it would look a bit better but I figured it would be time consuming to deploy & not strong enough at the joint. I bent a lesser strength bar on my first attempt going the route I did :D
This way most of the bar stays within the tube providing good support. I didn't put a footrest on the end as it just clipped the inside on the rest foot rest as it was. I may add something there in time.
It's pretty much out of sight when the stand is up, hasn't detracted from the strength in that area noticeably & does it's job ok.