kubota 2cyl z482

Engine's, injection, valve's, timing, crank's etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

bobsav
I don't post much...

kubota 2cyl z482

Post by bobsav » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:34 pm

looking for info on crankshaft balancing on a Kubota 2 cyl z482.

pietenpol2002
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: kubota 2cyl z482

Post by pietenpol2002 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:49 am

Tell us more. Are you asking about original factory balancing? Following modifications? Higher RPM's? And is it true you only have 1 traffic light in the entire county?
Ron
Goshen, IN USA

bobsav
I don't post much...

Post by bobsav » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:57 am

pietenpol2002 wrote:Tell us more. Are you asking about original factory balancing? Following modifications? Higher RPM's? And is it true you only have 1 traffic light in the entire county?
have done major modification to engine. high lift cam, larger valves, ported head , stiffer valve springs, adding intercooled turbo, beefed up rocker supports, valve relief pockets cut into piston tops , carillo rods, dry sump engine(.stock,) this engine would turn at about 3600 rpm. with the governor. have removed the governor. am hoping to turn at about 4500 to 5000 rpm. these are externaly balanced cranks. flywheel and front pulley are counterweighted. was wondering about making it internaly balanced. balancing the flywheel and front pulley by themselves,and adding heavy metal to crank counter weights. diesels are a bit new to me. any info much thanks. and yes ,only one traffic light, and its just a blinking red , so you don't run thru the intersection at night, and we all complained about it.

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:12 pm

Hi,
These are roust engines. Because I bought mine as a non runner I've rebuilt it a times and had to have the crank reground but I've not attempted to modify mine other than tweak up the governor a tad.

I'd have thought it's not much different to balancing a crank from a petrol engine other than maybe being a bit stockier and rotating a lot slower which should make things easier.

Have you contacted a company that has experience with crank modifications?
Kubota Z482 which is plodding on with unnerving reliability. Three years so far.
1900 Diesel Bike being rebuilt with better clutch control.

coachgeo

Post by coachgeo » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:04 am

bobsav wrote:
pietenpol2002 wrote:Tell us more. Are you asking about original factory balancing? Following modifications? Higher RPM's? And is it true you only have 1 traffic light in the entire county?
have done major modification to engine. high lift cam, larger valves, ported head , stiffer valve springs, adding intercooled turbo, beefed up rocker supports, valve relief pockets cut into piston tops , carillo rods, dry sump engine(.stock,) this engine would turn at about 3600 rpm. with the governor. have removed the governor. am hoping to turn at about 4500 to 5000 rpm. these are externaly balanced cranks. flywheel and front pulley are counterweighted. was wondering about making it internaly balanced. balancing the flywheel and front pulley by themselves,and adding heavy metal to crank counter weights. diesels are a bit new to me. any info much thanks. and yes ,only one traffic light, and its just a blinking red , so you don't run thru the intersection at night, and we all complained about it.
Any updates on how your engine is doing with all these modifications. Also on bike speeds and MPG etc.

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:01 pm

For reference my STANDARD engine returns between 110mpg and 140mpg depending if you are smoothly chugging along at 50mph or at full throttle the whole time. Top speed is 70mpg and probably limited by available gear ratios in the BMW gearbox and shaft drive, however it will do a regular 67mph on the flat in still air.

I still have to rig up a tacho to check my max rpm
Kubota Z482 which is plodding on with unnerving reliability. Three years so far.
1900 Diesel Bike being rebuilt with better clutch control.

pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:54 pm

Thanks for the update Mouse. Great numbers to have.
Ron
Goshen, IN USA